Chapter 13 | exploring the mansion

We drove to the highway and sped up toward Mr. Horton's mansion.

I slumped into my seat and yawned as everything blurred around me.

Jumping out of sleep to an abrupt stop, I blinked at the street lights and rolled my eyes at the dashboard.

My back ached.

So did my neck and it spread to my arms.

"You slept for an hour Mrs. Horton," Jana stole a glance at me and smiled. "Even a tractor driving by us didn't have what it takes to wake you up, so I gave up."

She chuckled and revived the car engine.

It roamed to life.

"Thanks for the company, Jana."

I chewed my lips, pulled my jacket over my shoulders, and glared at the random buildings and streets racing against us.

I didn't have much to say, but my few words carried my sincere gratitude.

Did she hear me?

Maybe.

Even though I waited on her to say something; deep down, I knew that she might not have heard me because of how six feet low my voice was.

It came off as a whisper which passed away under my breath instead of an acknowledgment.

"Don't mention Mrs. Horton, I'm glad you loved my company." The awkward silence which pushed me to sleep during the drive stole the atmosphere in the car after our little exchange. "Don't you think we should go shopping more often?"

"Shopping?"

I crossed my arms and leaned my head on my seat.

Up the sky, birds ran for safety, and dark clouds spread like a blanket on the city.

I bounced back from my seat. "I would have loved to, but shopping isn't my thing."

"Oh! I see."

She furrowed her brows and scrunched her nose. "Voila! What about a cinema night? This weekend, my colleagues are heading to the cinema to watch a movie. It so happened that I got myself an extra ticket and I wish that you join us."

"Me? I don't think it's a good idea. Perhaps, next time."

"He has contaminated you." She strangled the steering wheel and sighed. "Sure, next time, in my next life."

I choked at her words.

The rumbling sound ahead of us snapped me out of my thoughts and I peeked at the tall gate.

'The Horton's Mansion, ' stood in bold at the top, automatically opening to a villa that was cut out of the most beautiful architecture magazines.

Jana drove by the rocky waterfall and sculptured flying Eagles fountain.

Multiple flowers of different colors ran around, decorating the fountain.

On our left stood, 'The Horton's Aquarium.'

Everything about the premises was beautiful.

So beautiful that it hurt.

Jana drove by the large pool which had little fish of multiple colors enjoying their stay.

The underground parking was congested with money standing on four wheels.

How could I forget the helicopter spot?