Chapter 22 | super abrupt justifications

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."

Wow!

This opening line stood out as one of the most famous lines in literature.

And if not for Dwain's bookshelves, I won't have come across this historical romance bestselling novel Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.

Stretching my hand to pick a sticky note and a blue ink pen from his desk, my fingers were suspended as I analyzed the text.

Everyone knew that wealthy bachelors must be wanting to marry in other to be valued by society.

Did Austen Lie?

That was the situation Dwain found himself in.

Sticking the note at the side of chapter one, I jotted my points in my cursive handwriting.

"It's funny and ironic that Dwain Horton, in his case, picked up a stripper at a cheap club to play his wife because of a business deal, pride, and his outstanding ego."

The door to Dwain's room flung open with a boisterous sound and my heart scampered.

I tossed the novel to the floor and carefully placed my legs on it, making sure I didn't hurt myself the more.

It shouldn't be Dwain, please.

"Mrs. Horton, oops I'm sorry, I meant to say, Lisa. Everyone is waiting for you downstairs for breakfast..."

Camilla stopped talking and walked towards me, her eyes flickering with concern. "Are you okay Lisa? You're breathing is hastened like that of someone who ran a marathon race this morning."

"Me? No way Camilla."

Fake laughter escaped my lips and I pulled my nightgown closer to my chest, covering my exposed arms.

"It's nothing, very normal and nothing."

My hair brushed my face and whipped my back in the morning cold.

"Lisa, you said the word, 'nothing," twice and you aren't good at acting you know. Your legs are squeezing all air out of that book beneath... and I'm sure you were trying to hide something."

Camilla smiled and nodded her head.

"You are hiding something."

Okay fine, she caught me. "Pride and Prejudice, stolen from Dwain's library and scared to be caught. End of my short story."

I jerked the book from the floor and hugged it.

"My silly notes had to be secured," I whispered.

"Mr. Horton doesn't even know the existence of that novel in his library. I forgot it there during my cleaning rounds last week. It's a good book to read. Now, let's get you ready."

Camilla did a deep clean of my cut and helped me change into a simple plain flowery sun gown, and sandals, and held my hair into a bun.

Last night, Dwain remained in his office downstairs, working throughout, and he didn't have dinner with us either.

"Camilla, can I keep the book? Wait, you have read it right?"

I raised a brow at her.

"I have read it and I won't give you spoilers . . . I won't. Now keep it somewhere, breakfast is getting cold."

PERHAPS I WAS WRONG, but Camilla told me that Dwain and Leonard didn't like each other's guts right from their tender ages.

To top it all off, Tasha asked Leonard to settle in the room next to Edward's.