Chapter 24 | combatting with mockery

Seconds, perhaps minutes passed, and people floated by me.

Strangers on my path had cursory familiarity and stared at me in confusion, then puff they were gone out of sight.

One thing was sure; they had laid eyes on Elizabeth in the restroom.

Stopping in my tracks, and inhaling air, I glanced at the large glass which separated me from the restroom.

I knew she had arrived, probably waiting for me behind the transparent door, but the courage to slide the glass open slipped out of me.

You dreamt of this Ellis.

Holding firm to the doorknob, I slid the glass open and limped to the sink.

Two ladies washing their hands caught my attention but they soon walked out of me, giving me the same weird look as many and whispering, but I couldn't hear it.

I shifted my attention to my objective and surveyed my surroundings.

A stall door flew open and a lady popped out, my eyes widened in disbelief.

"Oh! My goodness."

She had the same small green eyes as mine, and exact brown hair with little shades of black cascading to her back, whereas mine was pulled into a neat bun.

Her little plum lips were stained in layers of pink, like mine, and she also had my mum's British nose.

Elizabeth matched a brown off-the-shoulder blouse with blue denim jean shorts and a thin black belt circling her waist.

Her legs fitted nicely in white sneakers contrasting the black choker she wore around her neck.

My wardrobe hit a different beauty bone on her, she was my mirror reflection but hotter and sexy.

Lisa stared at me for a while.

Truth be told, Elizabeth was identical to me, and the exposed flesh on her left shoulder harbored a similar birthmark to mine.

It was the same birthmark that Dwain saw on the wedding night and refused to believe me when I told him I wasn't Elisabeth, but just a replacement.

Was it possible to have a clone?

Elizabeth was my carbon copy.

My eyes were engrossed in hers when she snapped her fingers, breaking our eye contact.

"Take a picture. It lasts longer," she whispered.

Her slang smacked a distinct nerve in me and my guts itched to regurgitate all my fury.

Because of Elizabeth and her Grandma, my life became hell and all she got to say was such nonsense, making when nothing was funny.

She wasn't even civilized enough to say, 'hi, ' after all she and her family put me through.

Pressing my Lips together, I stopped a giggle that fluttered out of my lips and I rolled my eyes to the white walls surrounding us and back to her.

"Wow. . . I should take a picture. What picture? Oh! That of a hypocrite?"

I yelled and bit my lips, holding my tongue in place; this courtesy of mine couldn't last long.

"Mind you, Ellis. Don't insult me. I didn't show up..."

"Hold up! Listen to me, Lisa," I raised a finger at her and stopped her from saying whatever she had in mind.

Ignoring the pain from my cut, l limped towards her. "Elizabeth, you are a hypocrite, a gold digger, an opportunistic being with a large and unhealthy ego just like-"