Chapter Three - Dead Man's Party

***

As we walked into the institute Clary from in front of us says "I still don't understand, how can shadowhunters be better than what you people call mundanes." 

Izzy having enough of her whining said "Because we protect humans." The annoyance in her tone was heard by all of us and I sighed. 

Clary stops walking and turns to Izzy sighing "You're right. Humans. You protect humans. You left Simon all alone in that van." Which made me glare at her for the tone she's taking with Izzy.  

"Great job, guys. You rock." Which made me glare at her even more. 

"There is some truth in the idea that human beings have a modicum of common sense" Alec said sticking up for his sister. When I look over at Izzy I see her looking in the mirror sorting out her hair making me chuckle. 

"Alec, not now." Izzy says in annoyance making me frown. 

Jace looks at Clary saying "Look, they won't do anything to Simon. They just want to draw you out. They want the cup, and they think you have it." 

Clary looks at him annoyed "But why do they think that? Why does anyone think that? What, my mum lies to me my whole life except, 'oh, by the way, theres this magic cup, I hid on, like, the planet bongo, but don't tell anyone'." We all just look at her unamused. 

She looks at Jace "What am I supposed to do now?" She says shaking her head.

"We've got to report to the Clave." I said walking in between Jace and Clary.

"They have to know what we've learned about Valentine." Alec added nodding and following me. 

"What, that he's my father?" Clary asks. We all stop to look at her again. 

"Great. Fine, tell them. What good does that do Simon?" She sighs. 

Jace says "Clary, its all connected. The vamps want the cup."

Clary interrupts him "Why? It makes new shadowhunters." I just sigh. 

"Nobody wants Valentine forming an army loyal to himself." I said it like it was obvious. 

Izzy nods, adding "Plus, it control demons." 

I look at her "They'll propose a trade. Simon for the cup." 

She nods looking annoyed "So, vampires will trade Simon for the cup and Valentine will trade my mother for the cup. Either way I loose someone I love." She whined. 

Jace just looks at her with sympathy " What if I just toss it up in the air and let them fight it out among themselves?" I just glare at her. 

Alec frowns asking "So, this just doesn't matter to you?" 

"Yes, of course, it matters!" she said. Well she could have fooled me because it doesn't sound like she does. 

"Listen when you saved my life, I put my trust in you." She said looking directly at Jace. 

"Now, I need you to put your trust in me. I can't turn into what you are overnight." She said sounding tired.