Off to England

Cora fiddled with a strand of hair on the train. "Cora, did you mess with your hair again?" Martha, Cora's very American mother asked.

Cora rolled her eyes. And let out a sigh."Yes Mamma." Cora was excited about her trip to England with her mother, but was slowly losing interest in visiting England. Maybe it was a because of all the traveling, maybe it was because she was sitting to much, or maybe it was because she was getting hungry. But only Cora deep down knew the real what was going on.

Two weeks ago, Cora's mother and Father sat her down in the living room of their house. Cora, being her usual curious self asked her parents what she had done wrong this time. Her parents reassured her that she was not in trouble. She just needed to marry a wealthy man who would give her a tittle in society.

Cora bit her lip and asked why she couldn't just marry whom she wanted to. Cora's father, Isidore, explained that there were hundreds of men in England who needed a rich young woman to marry to save the estate and also their title. Cora didn't want the title or a very, very large estate. She wanted a nice American husband. Not some British husband. When Cora's parents told her she would be living for England for two months, she broke down and started to cry in her bedroom. Martha knew that even though Cora was quite and respectful, she was very sensitive at times.

When Cora's mother reached her bedroom, she got on Cora's bed and stroked her dark chestnut brown hair. Her porcelain white skin was a scarlet red color from crying so much. Her beautiful blue eyes were looking glassy and fragile. "Darling. Tell your Mamma what is the matter."

"I do want to go to England but I'll miss America. What if I never get to see our house again? What if I never see my friends again? What if...?" Cora sobbed.

"Cora. My dear Cora. I know you are very upset about going to England and going away from America, but look at it as a an adventure. You love adventures? Don't you?"

"I suppose so." Cora said with forcing a little tiny smile.

"No dear, you know so." Martha corrected.

~~

Two weeks later, Cora and her mother where on the boat and then now on the train. "Cora, please will you stop pouting about going to England. You can't change our travel. And we are almost there." Martha said fixing her daughters hair.

"Mamma, you know I didn't what to come to England in the first place so why are we going?" Cora questioned with a tiny attitude.

"Because my dearest daughter, we need to find you a suitable husband and it is time for your comming out season as well. Who knows, maybe you'll find a young gentleman?"

"Of course mamma. I am going to find a wonderful husband who is English and who is into an American." Cora said sarcastically.

Martha rolled her eyes and then asked "Cora, I know you are probably starving so why don't we eat dear?"

Cora nodded a little. "I'm not though," Cora insisted "I just need to stretch out and have some water."

Martha nodded not entirely believing her daughter but taking her word for it. "Well then Cora, I'm hungry and I'm going to get dressed for dinner. Meet me upstairs if you want to join me." Cora nodded. She was not going to be joining her mother for dinner at a time like this.