Chapter 8

Starting a new high school is my favorite part when starting my new life at every group home. NOT. I hate school. I hate people. I hate walking towards a school full of people. That's what I'm doing at 7:00 a.m. in the morning on a Monday. Apparently, the high school isn't a very long walk from our group home, so me and all the other girls are walking together. I pull out a cigarette from my back pocket and light it as I'm walking down the side of the road. I'm hoping that the other girls hate the smell of cigarettes so much so, that they decide to walk at least five feet apart from me. I guess my strategy of avoiding people didn't work since Mia, Veronica, and Daisy walk right next to me the whole way to school. 

I'm not one of those people who care what other people think about how I look. However, that doesn't mean that I don't want to look good for myself. My hair is down in its natural waves and my makeup consists of mascara, eyeliner, and a little bit of cherry lipgloss to make my lips look extra pouty. I don't own that many clothes so my outfit consists of my trusty black boots, an extra fitted crop top, and black high-waisted skinny jeans that hug my curves tight.

I don't do much of the talking as we walk to school. We approach the steps of the high school, and I swear I feel people staring at me already. Whatever, It's not like it hasn't happened before. I depart from the girls once inside and head for the front office located at the left of the front doors. I walk towards the front desk and look at the happiest lady I have ever seen in my fucking life. I look down at her name tag on her bright yellow shirt and see that her name is 'Sunny.' As if that is not the most fitting name for Mrs. Sunshine. I internally roll my eyes before she looks up and spots me. I swear, I almost needed sunglasses for how bright her smile was.

"Hi sweetpea, what can I do for you today?"

"My name is Kaia Jones, I'm new and need to pick up my schedule." I tried to put a smile on my face that matched hers, but I'm pretty sure my lips barely even moved. Again. I hate school and people.

"Let me see here....I don't see a Kaia but I do see a Katarina Jones." She looked up at me and smiled.

I clenched my teeth and responded, "Yup. That's me."

She printed out my schedule and leaned over to hand it to me. "I hope you have a great school year. Welcome to Forestwood High."

I smiled back and wiped my face completely blank as I turned around to head out of the office. "Forestwood High? What the fuck kind of name is that." I mumbled to myself as I looked down at my schedule to determine which direction I needed to take.

1st period: Chemistry

    2nd period: World History

    3rd period: Art

    Lunch Break

    4th period: American Literature

    5th period: Calculus

    6th period: Weight training / P.E.

I started off towards chemistry before the bell ringed and walked towards the teacher's desk, ignoring all the stares of everyone already in the classroom. "Ah, you must be Katarina Jones. I'm Mr. Smith." the older, grey-haired man in front of me said.

"It's Kaia actually." I tried to sound the least bitter that I could when saying it.

"Yes, you'll be joining Mr. Asher Lodge in the back of the classroom.

I gave a mumbled thanks and walked towards the back of the classroom. As I was walking down the middle aisle, I could see the guys in my peripheral vision turn to look at my backside as I was walking by. I mean, I don't blame them, I do the same thing. I walked towards the last table on the right and see...the guy that bumped into me at the party. Correction. The hot guy who bumped into me at the party. I could tell that he hadn't noticed me yet, so I pulled one of the stools out and sat at the table ignoring him.