Chapter 14

Asher's POV

     What the hell did I just do? I'm still sitting on my bed hours after Kaia left. I keep thinking back to that kiss. How great it felt, how happy I was to have her in my arms. Only for it to all be ruined by what I said. I knew that she must have had a hard life and has trouble talking about it, but I did not expect her to blow up like that.

     "It's your turn. Ask me anything," she had said smiling.

     I thought about it for a second and realized that I didn't know a single thing about my mate. So I asked the only logical thing I could think of, "Tell me something real about you. Like, where are your parents? Do you have any siblings? Give me something that shows me who the real Kaia Jones is. I hardly know a single thing about you, and yet, I've been telling you everything about me."

     I looked as her face went from smiling to a blank expression in under a second. I watched in confusion as she got up and started pulling her shoes on. I quickly grabbed her shoulder to stop her. "Hey, look. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to pry. Just lay back down and we can keep talking okay?" She just stared at me and shrugged my hand off.

     As she walked towards the door, she turned around at the last second and looked me straight in the eyes with no emotion. "You want to know who the real Kaia Jones is? She's a bitch. She screws around with guys who could care less about her other than her body. She definitely doesn't date. And you know what? She likes it that way. She hates that just because she shares a meaningless kiss with someone, doesn't mean that he gets to ask her, her whole fucking life story."

     With that, she opened the door and walked off as I stared at the place she was just standing moments prior with hurt written all over my face. How could I possibly fuck everything up in a matter of minutes? And more importantly, how am I going to make things right again?

-------------------------------------

Kaia's POV

      I woke up the next morning feeling like absolute shit. I knew right away that I was not going to be up for seeing Asher today. Not after the way I left things yesterday. I know I make decisions without thinking things through but it was my fault for letting him get too close in the first place. I looked at my phone and pulled up Finn's contact and sent him a quick text.

Me: Hey. I'm ditching today. You up for a couple of drinks?

Finn: Instead of listening to Mrs. Bruster talk about the revolutionary war? Count me in.

Me: Meet me outside in 20. I gotta at least pretend I'm going to school.

     I get up from bed to take a quick shower and get ready. I walk outside to Mia, Veronica, and Daisy who are waiting on me. I pass Mia a note that I forged to look like it came from Meredith saying that I will be absent today from a stomach virus. "Hey, can you give this to the front office when you get to school? I have some things that I have to do today."

     Mia looked at me with a raised brow. "Do I want to know what you're up to?"

     I shrugged. "Nothing too special. Just not feeling up for it today."

     I walked over towards Finn who was waiting for me by the road. "Well, firecracker. I was wondering how long it would take you to skip school. It has now been a solid three days since you started, and I gotta say, I was thinking it would be quicker." He teased me with a smile.

     I pushed his shoulder playfully. "Just shut up and show me where in this shitty town, can we get some drinks."

---------------------------------------------