Chapter 18

Kaia's POV

     "Hell no. Nope. I'm not doing it. Do you seriously hate me this much?" I asked Asher on the phone.

     He exhales loudly. "Kaia, it's just a dress. Is it too much to ask for you to wear one to Hayden's party?"

     "Ugh! Fine. I'll conform to your boy's standards on how a lady should dress...for one day. Never again will you ask me to wear something else." I sighed dramatically, making sure I made him feel extra bad for this dress situation.

     "Don't worry baby. I'll make it up to you," he said in a deep, sultry voice, making me shiver in pleasure at the nickname he gave me.

     I grumbled something between, "you better" and "fuck you" before hanging up the phone.

---------------------------------

     Please, someone, kill me now. What is the likelihood that lightning can strike me on a clear, sunny day? Or a piano falling from the sky and crushing me to death? Oh, I know, what about a meteor falling from space, incinerating me to pieces? This is how I feel about shopping. Let alone, shopping with other females.

     "Oh, look at that dress! No, that one! OMG, what about that one?!" Daisy all but shrieked at the dresses in the store.

     "Fucking kill me," I muttered, feeling a headache begin to form from the already, 15-minute shopping trip.

     "What'd you say, Kaia?" Daisy looked and smiled brightly at me.

     "I said, that dress would look amazing," I replied, smiling at Daisy. I know, I know. Usually, I would have already punched a girl in the face by now. But, I surprisingly like the girl, even though I want to puncture my eardrums most of the time.

     Mia just snorted at my obvious lie. "Okay, seriously. What color should I pick? Should I go for cute and casual? Or sexy?" She looked only at me, knowing I think there's only one obvious choice.

     "Sexy obviously, Mia," I said, earning me an approving smile and nod. Mia has been secretly freaking out about Hayden's birthday party. She won't admit it, but after I told her that Hayden was gonna ask her out, she has been a nervous wreck. I internally sighed. I know, I told Hayden that was his business but after hanging out with Asher and him, I felt bad for not at least helping him in some small way.

     "This one." I held out a little black dress.

     "Umm..I'm all for showing a little skin Kaia but that thing is the size of my tank top." She eyed the material warily but obviously interested in it.

     I sighed, "Just try the damn thing on so we can get out of here. There's only old women and creepy gas station men in here."

     "Fine, but you're gonna get the matching one in red then." She held the little red dress out to me.

     I shrugged. "Fine by me, unlike you, I don't mind showing off a little bit. Who knows, maybe when Hayden and Asher see us, they'll be drooling like dogs," I laughed at her blushing cheeks.

     I tugged on the small dress, examining myself in the mirror. Damn, I look good. What? Nothing wrong with hyping yourself up a bit. "Kaia! I can't wear this. It...it...looks bad on me. Hayden will hate it." Mia sounded scared and unsure from the dressing room over.

     I walked out the door looking towards Mia standing in front of the floor-length mirror. "Damn, girl. What are you talking about? You look fucking hot right now. Hayden will not be able to keep his hands off you," I said, hyping her up a bit because shit, she really did look stunning. Her cheeks turned crimson red at my statement. "And don't worry, we'll still be matching because I look hot as hell in this so we're buying," I said quickly, cutting off whatever she was about to say. She sighed, walking back into the dressing room, but not before I saw her look down at the dress and smiled.

     We walked up to the cashier who rang up our items. I had to buy a pair of heels since I only own sneakers and my black boots that just won't cut it for this outfit. I sighed while grumbling as I handed over $75.48 for my outfit. You're welcome, Hayden. Daisy met us over here while purchasing a little yellow sundress which I'm pretty sure she already owns.

     "I gotta go stop by Madame Vivian's shop before we head back," Mia said to me and Daisy. "Y'all coming with?"

     "Oh, no. You know how I feel about witchcraft Mia. There is no way I'm going in there and getting cursed. I gotta stop by another shop anyways. I'll meet y'all back at the car in 30," Daisy said, heading the other way.

     I shrugged, not worried about it. "Let's go," I said, following Mia a few stores down into a side alleyway of the outlet mall. The bell chimed as we walked into the store. Everything seemed pretty normal for this kind of store. There were crystals, incense, tarot cards, you name it, they had it. A woman in her 40s walked out smiling towards Mia as if they've met before.

     "Mia sweetie. What do you need today?" She smiled sweetly at her, almost in a motherly way.

     "Hey, Vivian, I'm really anxious today. I'm looking maybe for some anxiety-reducing crystals and one of the mixes you showed me in the elixir book." She looked at the woman pointedly.

     "Of course, dear. I'll go get them," she said as she glanced at me, eyes widening. "Goodness, who are you?"

     I looked around, "Umm, I'm Kaia." I looked at her warily, wondering why she was looking at me like I was a slab of meat in a room full of vegans.

     "You poor dear. Your magic has been locked up. Why haven't you gone and seen anyone?" Uh, come again? She took in my confused expression and gasped, "Oh, no. You don't even know what you are, do you? I don't know why I didn't notice when you walked in. I can feel how strong your power is from here." She looked at me seriously.

     "I thought she might be a witch too, but I couldn't tell though. I don't know how someone locked her powers inside her though. Only strong warlocks and witches can do that," Mia quietly talked with the lady as if I wasn't even here. What the fucking are these people on? I've tried almost every single drug but these people are straight-up tripping right now.

     I wasn't paying attention, lost in thought until I felt the woman place one hand over my forehead. I tried to step back but it was like I was in a trance, staring into her eyes. "Electragrumestim undolester anefrinlum," she chanted words as I felt myself growing hotter and hotter. I felt my legs buckle from under me, making me fall to the floor. She kept her hand on my forehead and continued chanting. I felt my body heating up, higher and higher as I began to shake and scream. Then, all of a sudden, it was like I felt myself bursting out of my skin, almost like a massive weight was being lifted off my shoulders.

     "Mia, go get her some water in the back, mix it with the potion on the shelf and bring it to me." She looked down at me. "It's okay, I just unlocked your power. You'll be fine, maybe just a little bit tired." Mia returned and helped me drink the concoction. "Mia will help you adjust to your powers."

     I looked at Mia, "You're a witch? No. No, this is fucking crazy..I...I don't know what you just did to me right now. But I want to leave."

     Mia looked at me with a pitying look which made me irritated. "Kaia, I know this sounds crazy, but it's true. I thought you might be a witch when I saw you fight at that party the first day you got here. You had this strength and aura around you that just didn't make sense with you being human." I looked at her as if she had razor blades for teeth. She sighed, "You don't believe me, do you?" I shook my head, speechless at this whole situation. "Well, I guess I'll just have to show you then." She stood up walking over to the table and picked up a crystal. "Most of us witches need to pick up energy from other sources. Crystals are a good and sustaining option."

     I watched as she began to enchant small phrases in another language, but it was none that I've ever heard of. I watched in shock as water from the cup she brought me, floated up into the air before falling in a little shower onto the floor. I vaguely heard Vivian grumbling about her floor getting wet as I watched Mia. Mia looked at me and smiled, "You're a witch Kaia." before I proceeded to pass out.

What do you guys think about this big reveal? Did you see it coming? And what about Mia? Did you notice any subtle hints from the other chapters?