02

(tw: none!)

lyra grimaced as her phone's alarm woke her up. she shut it off and grudgingly got up from the couch. her eyes widened as all of a sudden the night before's events came rushing back.

lyra got up and immediately begun walking to the kitchen. she wanted breakfast ready early, so that alice and kara were able to leave early enough before the police came.

she got out pancake mix and chocolate chips that she knew alice preferred from the many times she had stayed over before.

by the time that lyra was done with breakfast, alice and kara had woken up and were walking downstairs. the two had stayed in the clothing that lyra had given them.

lyra grinned once they walked into the dining room.

"oh, great! you're up. i made breakfast for you," she said to alice who smiled back and sat down in a chair next to lyra who placed a plate in front of her. lyra turned to kara, "i would've made you one, but-" she trailed off and kara nodded, understandingly.

kara sat down in front of alice and lyra, the two humans eating breakfast. after a minute alice looked up at lyra.

"do we have to leave you?"

lyra turned to alice and was immediately saddened. "i'm sorry, sweetie. we can't risk the police seeing you, it'll be safer if you leave."

alice looked down as tears gathered in her eyes, "i don't want to leave you. i feel safe with you."

lyra went to answer, but was interrupted by her phone making a 'ding' sound. she picked up her phone, reading the text her partner, hank, sent her. he had messaged her about exactly what she was afraid of.

"the police will be here soon," she muttered, her eyes meeting kara's. "you two have to leave now if you wanna get a headstart."

lyra told kara to wait with alice by the door while she retrieved the money they would need. lyra got two jackets and enough money for food (for alice) and a few nights at a motel.

lyra rushed to meet them at the door and handed kara the money which she put safely in a jacket pocket. they put on the jackets just so that they would fit in with others and in alice's case, stay warm.

alice stepped forward and hugged lyra.

"stay safe, alice," lyra told alice as she pulled her tighter. alice nodded and let go of lyra. she stepped outside to wait for kara.

lyra surprised kara by hugging her yet she pulled away before either of them had a chance to say anything. "as soon as you step outside find the nearest bus stop and get on. wait until you get into town to get off and head to the motel. hopefully, the news hasn't reached everyone yet."

kara nodded and the two stood in silence, neither of them - weirdly enough - wanting to be leave each other. alice peeked her head in the door and they all said their final goodbyes before kara and alice left.

lyra watched to make sure they turned the corner and were headed towards a bus before she got her badge and got ready to head towards the house next door, meeting her partners for the case.