16

(tw: none!)

kara, alice, lyra, and luther all walked into the bus terminal. kara smiled as she looked around, "we've arrived, alice. we made it."

"the last bus for the border is full. ticket-holding passengers only. all departures are suspended until further notice," a soldier spoke into a megaphone.

lyra turned to kara, "you don't happen to have tickets, do you?"

kara shook her head, "jericho was attacked before we could get some from markus. we're stuck here now. what are we going to do?"

kara and alice followed lyra as she walked towards a sign that showed the deviants outside of a camp. "markus . . ." kara muttered.

lyra put a hand on kara's shoulder and smiled softly, "they'll be okay." kara nodded and lyra furrowed her eyebrows as alice walked towards a woman holding a baby wrapped in a blue blanket.

"i think oliver likes you," the woman smiled looking between alice and her baby. kara put a hand on alice's shoulder, lyra standing beside her. luther stood behind them. "is she yours?" the woman asked kara and lyra.

"no-" lyra began to correct her, telling her that she was only kara's.

"yes," kara smiled at the woman.

"she's adorable," the woman complimented.

"that's it," a man walked towards the woman and baby. "i got the sandwiches, i called your mom. let's get going before we miss our bus. you got the tickets, right?"

"yes honey, in my bag," the woman replied.

"great, well let's go then." the man and woman took their bags and got up, walking towards the line. an envelope fell out of the woman's bag and lyra and kara shared a look.

kara picked up the envelope and looked down at it. enough tickets for all of them.

"i'm sorry. oh my god, i am so sorry, i was sure!" the woman and man walked back. she seemed close to tears as she hugged her baby close to her chest.

"shit, i don't believe it," the man said incredulously.

"i-i don't know what happened."

"you can't have lost them. did you have a good look in your bag?" kara subtly handed lyra the envelope and she pocketed it.

"they were in my backpack! t-the envelope must have fallen!"

the man looked around where the woman was sitting, "fuck . . ." he turned to kara and lyra. "excuse me, you didn't happen to see a blue envelope somewhere, did you? it has our bus tickets in it and . . . oh, nevermind . . ."

kara shook her head, "no . . . sorry."

the man turned back to his wife, presumably. "what are we gonna do? we can't stay here . . ." he sat down on the bench. "we have to find a safe place for oliver."

"i'm so sorry, honey . . . i don't know what happened. they were right here in my bag, i-!"

kara took ahold of alice's hand, "come on, alice." lyra led them to the line and they walked up to the soldier.

"got your ticket?"

lyra took them out of her pocket and handed them to the soldier. "here they are."

he looked over them, "okay, go ahead." he handed lyra back the tickets and they walked past the soldiers. they approached the bus and alice stepped on though turned to lyra and kara.

"what's going to happen to that family and their baby?" alice asked them.

lyra smiled and brushed a stray hair out of alice's face, "they'll be okay, i promise."