12

(tw: none!)

kara sat down beside adam cautiously. he turned away from her almost immediately. "i know you think we're just machines . . ." kara confessed. "but since i met alice, i know i can feel things. i care for her, i fear for her, i can't be happy if she's not. this probably doesn't make any sense to you but . . . i know she changed me somehow."

adam turned to her slightly but turned back just as quick. kara sighed and stood up. she walked over to luther.

"i hope rose gets back soon . . ." she said glancing worryingly at the door.

"kara, there's something i need to tell you." kara turned to luther. "it's about alice."

she shook her head, "not now, luther." kara kneeled beside alice who sat in front of the fireplace, hugging her knees.

"you know what happened back there, don't you? you know . . . but you don't wanna tell me?" kara trailed off. "i thought we didn't keep secrets from each other."

alice looked up to kara, "if i tell you, you won't love me anymore . . ."

kara's heart felt like it had been ripped out. "alice . . . you know that's not true" kara decided to let it go and got up.

the doorbell rang suddenly and adam ran to the window, looking out. kara stood up abruptly in a panic. "the police!" adam exclaimed. "it's the police! what are we gonna do? they know we're here!"

kara ran back and shoved the android jacket in the drawer and turned to luther and alice. "hurry, luther! take alice and hide upstairs!"

"come on, alice!" luther grabbed alice's hand and took her upstairs.

kara shut the cabinet door with bags of blue blood inside, the light turning off. she then ran forward and shut the laundry door.

kara turned to adam who was in a constant state of panic. "if they see you panicking, it's over. do you want us to get into trouble?" adam shook his head. "do you wanna get your mother into trouble?" adam looked towards the front door and shook his head again.

"then keep calm," kara told him. "and just do what i say." kara opened the door, revealing the police officer behind it.

"good evening, ma'am. sorry to disturb you. we've had reports of androids in the area," the police officer explained. "with all this deviant business going on, you can't be too careful. do you mind if i ask you a few questions? may i come in?"

"of course," kara smiled kindly and moved, letting the police officer enter.

"evening, young man," he greeted adam. kara shut the door and watched their interaction warily.

"good evening . . ." adam replied nervously.

the police officer looked around the house. "would you like a cup of coffee?" kara asked him.

he smiled, "i'd love one. have you noticed anything unusual recently? any unexpected visitors?"

kara began walking to the kitchen, "no . . . no, nothing in particular."

"is anyone else in the house?" the police officer asked.

"no," kara answered. "no, just us."

"do you have any androids here?"

"no, there are no androids here." kara started brewing the coffee and when it was ready, she poured in into a mug. she sat it down on the table and waited for the police officer.

he looked around for a minute before picking up the mug, "thanks." he took a sip and sat it down. he continued walking around and all of a sudden the ceiling shook slightly.