17 (alternative ending)

(tw: major character death)

this is an alternative ending for if markus wasn't leading a peaceful protest. you can choose to end the story with either ending.

the man in front of kara, alice, luther, and lyra had his face scanned and was able to pass the border. lyra keep her hand on kara's lower back reassuringly.

"next, please!" the man at the desk motioned for them to walk up to the counter. "id, please."

kara reached into her pocket and pulled out her id. she placed it on the counter and the man looked between the card and kara.

he pulled out his scanner and began to scan kara's face.

"please . . ." kara spoke softly, her eyes glossy. "we just wanna be free."

the man slowly looked up to the screen that displayed markus' attack that he was leading with the other androids. he looked back at the group and lowered his scanner.

"they're androids."

lyra's eyes widened as the soldiers behind them rose their guns, aiming them at the group. her eyes began to water as kara looked at her, panicked.

"on your knees!" a soldier yelled at them.

they turned around and kara wrapped her arms around alice protectively. luther held out his hands and he advanced toward the soldier.

"no, don't hurt them!" the soldier slammed his gun into luther's head causing the humans around them to gasp. he fell backwards and the other soldier shot him in the chest.

"luther!" alice screamed, hiding her face in kara's chest. tears streamed down lyra's face as she gripped kara's hand. they had gotten so close to freedom.

alice whimpered as the soldiers trained their guns on them now. slowly, kara let go of alice and lyra did the same. they rose their hands up in surrender and walked in front of the soldiers.

"she's human!-" kara went to protest but the soldier silenced her by raising his gun even more.

the three of them turned around slowly and got down on their knees. lyra was between kara and alice as tears ran down her face.

kara's eyes were watery as she spoke quietly. "i'm sorry, lyra."

alice looked to the side, "i love you, kara and lyra."

"i love you too . . ." lyra said back and kara finally allowed tears to fall down her cheeks.

kara and lyra's eyes met before they both closed their eyes. the sound of gunshots rang throughout the building as three bodies collapsed on the flooring alongside another one.

lyra hayes was dead; the last thing she saw being the eyes of the woman she loved.