08

(tw: none!)

kara, alice, and luther walked into the abandoned amusement park. luther was carrying alice who clung to him in the cold. kara was in front of them and held a flashlight.

"we need to find shelter," kara told luther, moving the flashlight over shops and signs. "we have to get out of the cold."

"looks like it's been abandoned for a while," luther mentioned.

kara walked further into the park, the snow crunching under her boots. she leaned over the counter of what looked to once be a small place to win prizes. she shone her flashlight around and sighed; it wouldn't be safe for alice.

"find anything?" luther shouted to kara.

"no . . . no place we could spend the night."

kara turned around and walked to another carnival game. she leaned over the counter and looked around. again, it wouldn't be safe for alice to spend the night there as it was too windy.

she approched an old, pirate animatronic and switched it on. the gears shifted and it came to life. "beware! danger always comes when least expected," the animatronic spoke then shut back off.

kara stared at the machine for a moment before moving on. she examined a building with glass windows and doors; it seemed safe enough.

she walked up to the door that was boarded shut and tried to pull one of the boards off. luther put a hand on her shoulder, setting alice down.

"i'll handle this," he told her and kara moved to give him space. luther starting ripping the boards off one by one until all of them laid in the snow.

luther backed up and kicked the door open. he nodded at kara, "there we go." they walked in, kara shining the flashlight around.

"i don't think we'll find anything better . . . let's settle in for the night."

"i'll get a fire going," luther motioned to the fireplace and walked off. kara set the flashlight down and picked up a picture on the ground.

she smiled softly at the sight of a family, their arms around each other; each with big smiles on their faces. kara set it back down and ripped a curtain off of the window. she took the pillow and starting putting them down in front of luther's fire.

she looked up, "alice?" kara turned around and sighed when she found alice, standing in front of a painted picture on the wall.

kara walked up behind her and put a hand on her shoulder. "do you think we'll be like them some day?" alice asked her, referring to the family.

"once we cross the border, we can start over," kara told her; alice looking up at her. "you can go to school . . . maybe i'll find a job. we'll be like them, like everyone else."

the two stared at the picture in silence before alice spoke up again, "do you think we'll ever see lyra again? she'd complete the family."

"i doubt we won't, alice," kara reassured her, though felt uncertain it was true. she led alice to the makeshift bed and sat down beside it.

alice laid down and kara pulled the blanket over her. "sleep tight, alice," kara whispered and leaned down, kissing her forehead. "sweet dreams."

alice /\

"can you tell me a story, kara?" alice asked.

kara smiled, "i have nine-thousand children stories in memory. i should have one for you. this is a story about a princess who-"