15

(tw: mentions of hanging)

kara, alice, and lyra sat on a bench in an abandoned church. all of the deviants that successfully escaped the ship had met up at the church. alice sat between kara and lyra, her head on lyra's shoulder. kara had wrapped an arm around lyra's shoulder and they hadn't moved since they sat down.

markus, the deviant leader, approached them and lyra noticeably tensed up. she had most likely been after a good amount of the deviants in the church and she didn't know how they could ever forgive her. kara put a hand on lyra's shoulder and smiled reassuringly at her.

"i'd thought you'd be save staying with us . . ." markus admitted. "i was wrong. you need to leave the city, while you still can."

"getting alice away from here is all that matters now," kara told him. "we have to catch the last bus. we might still have a chance to cross the border."

markus nodded and walked away from the group. "markus . . ." kara stopped him. "save our people."

after markus walked away, lyra stood up. kara sat up and alice watched lyra, not wanting her to leave. "i'll be back," lyra reassured them. she gestured to connor who stood against the wall. "i just have unfinished business."

alice moved her head to rest on kara's shoulder but kara still watched after lyra as she made her way towards the ex-deviant hunter.

lyra stood beside connor, the both of them standing together in silence.

"i should've known . . ." connor spoke up. "that you were protecting them. i saw you a moment ago."

lyra nodded slowly, "before they ran away, i used to look after the little girl and now," lyra gestured to where she stood. "i'm here."

"there are thousands of androids at the cyberlife assembly plant," connor mentioned.

lyra's eyes widened, "don't tell me you're going to . . ." when connor didn't answer she sighed. "shit. well, is there anything i can do to help?"

connor shook his head "just get them across the border," he said, motioning to kara and alice.

lyra chuckled and did a two-finger salute, "will do, captain . . ." lyra spoke up again, "hey, connor?"

"yeah?"

"don't die, okay?" lyra said and then wrapped her arms around connor, surprising him. he wrapped his arms around her and they both let go.

"i won't," connor told her and she nodded, turning back towards kara and alice and walking towards them.

"the last bus leaves in twenty minutes. that doesn't give us much time. we've got to move fast," kara said as she, lyra, and alice walked in the snow. kara noticed alice slow down and stop walking. "are you all right?"