09

(tw: none!)

lyra and connor sat in hank's car in silence. hank had drove off to the park after the events at eden club and without a word, got out of the car. he now sat on a park bench as the car radio blasted his heavy metal music.

lyra sighed, growing tired of waiting and of the loud music and stepped out of the car. connor followed and they walked over to hank. lyra leaned against the railing, looking out over the water and city while connor stood beside hank.

"nice view, huh? i used to come here a lot before . . ." hank stopped before he could finish the sentence.

"can i ask you a personal question, lieutenant?" connor asked.

"do all androids ask so many personal questions or is it just you?" hank retorted. lyra laughed under her breath, wrapping her arms around herself and watching her breath in the cold air.

"i saw a photo of a child," connor began. "on your kitchen table. it was your son, right?"

"yeah, his name was cole," hank looked down, focusing on the bottle of achohol in his hands.

connor uncrossed his arms, "before what?"

"hm?" hank's eyebrows furrowed.

"you said 'i used to come here a lot before'. before what?"

"before . . . before nothin'."

silence fell over them and lyra turned her body around to still lean against the railing, but face hank and connor. "may i also ask you a semi-personal question, lyra?" connor asked suddenly.

lyra chuckled, "you do ask a lot of personal questions, but go ahead i guess."

"back at the eden club, you referred to the traci's as people. instead of saying 'it' you said 'she'," connor told her. "you don't see androids as people, do you?"

lyra blinked in surprise, thinking over her answer as hank and connor looked at her. "i, uh, guess it was just a spur of the moment. you know, they look a lot like people. just, came out i guess." connor nodded and lyra scratched the back of her neck awkwardly.

"we're not making any progress on this investigation," connor mentioned to the two. "the deviants have nothing in common. they're all different models, produced at different times, in different places."

"well, there must be some link," hank waved the bottle of achohol around.

"the only link there has been is ra9," lyra said. "they've all believed in an ra9."

connor nodded, "it's almost like some kind of . . . myth. something they invented that wasn't part of their original program."

"androids believing in god," hank muttered, bringing the bottle of achohol to his mouth. "fuck, what's this world coming to?"

"you seem preoccupied, lieutenant. is it something to do with what happened back at eden club?" connor asked hank.

"those two girls . . . they just wanted to be together. they really seemed, in love."

connor shook his head, "they can simulate human emotions, but they're machines. and machines don't feel anything."

"do you ever think," lyra started. "that maybe . . . we're on the wrong team? maybe all the deviants want is to be free. to feel human i mean." connor thought it over and hank started to get up off the bench.

"what about you, connor? you look human, you sound human, but what are you really?"

lyra didn't like how this was going. the way that hank spat out his words and directed them towards connor, especially the fact that just seconds before he was drinking.