Chapter One

Chapter One (Slade)

"You have a duty to our cause. If you deny his request, you will be charged with treason and you will be killed."

The voice in front of me was stern and harsh. Of course it was. He'd been ordering me around my entire life and all I could do was nod my head to his request. There were sighs of relief from around me and I felt someone's hand touch my sleeve.

"Young master, we must report to our designated area. Are you ready?" The voice belonged to my caretaker, Vincent. It was a smooth, masculine voice that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up as I felt his hot breath near my skin. I wanted so much to reach up and touch his face, to feel his soft hair, smooth lips, but that wasn't my job.

My job was simple.

Lure the prey into the cage and pull the trap shut, capturing them forever so as to free the prisoner of a war that had been fought for far too long. I was growing weary. I didn't want to fight anymore. I was tired of all of this...

I wanted to sleep.

I wanted to shut out all the chaos around me and just let the darkness fully engulf me. I'd lived in the darkness too long to be scared of its open arms.

"Young master?" Vincent's voice was worried. I smiled, but didn't mean it as I gave another silent nod. I could hear him chew his lower lip and the voices of the departing council moving around us like a stream, whispering and murmuring. I could feel the gentle brushes of wind as they passed by, doing what they could to avoid touching me. Touching me would get them killed.

I felt Vincent's hand grasp mine, our fingers lacing together. I suddenly wanted to cry, but I had no more tears to cry. I'd done enough of that. I lived in darkness. I never had peace. I was on the losing side of a catestrophic war.

I had no time to cry...

"Vincent..." My voice felt small in a large, now empty room. Vincent was silent as he led me across the cold tiled floor toward one of the exits. He didn't say anything for a moment before his smooth accented voice spoke.

"Yes, young master?"

"Your hand is cold."

"My apologizes." Vincent answered. I gripped his icy palm in mine with both hands, trying to warm his hand up, but he gave my hand a squeeze that told me to leave him alone, so I had no choice by to drop my other hand away.

So cold... His hand was so cold. Vincent, why is your hand so cold? Why are you so cold?

So cold...

And suddenly, the world began to tremble and shudder. My heart began to pound like crazy in my chest, making it ache as I gasped for breath. My eyes flew open and I found myself staring at the roof of an airplane. I blinked quickly, my eyes focusing in on the whiteness of it before I sat up.

I looked around at the people who sat comfortably in their seats, either sleeping or reading or watching the news on their iPads. I blinked again and looked beside me at Zander. He was fast asleep, his dark lashes creating a crescent shape against his pale skin. His blue glasses were sliding down his face, his dark hair brushed across his forehead. He looked cozy in the blue sweater over his shirt button up shirt, his baggy blue jeans riding low to reveal the top of his checkered boxers.

I nibbled my lower lip, avoiding the snake bites there before I turned to my other side to Alexander.

He was still sulking silently. He sat there, staring at the pictures of the tour guide seeing as it was in Italian and he couldn't read it. His ear buds were in, blasting Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes. He was wearing a low cut elbow length blue shirt to match his snug fitting jeans.