Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One (Vladimir)

"This is ridiculous," Newell chided me as we walked out of the barn and into the sunlight, pausing to flinch at the bright rays of heat that came down on us, "I told you. I killed my father. How many times do I need to repeat myself?"

"And how many times must I tell you that Alexander does not lie?" I returned, making Newell scowl as we crossed to the main house. I paused, sniffing the air. Something smelled like... gasoline? That wasn't me, was it? I lifted my arm to sniff myself as Newell continued.

"You're a fool to put so much faith in a child." Newell scolded, glancing up at me pointedly, then gave me a weird look when he realized what I was doing. I lowered my arm, shrugging a little as I scanned the air, pausing in the shade that the house provided from the sunlight.

"I suppose I rather be a fool than dead. Also, do you smell something?" I asked. Newell frowned, tilting his head to the side as he sniffed the air before scrunching up his nose in disgust. He pinched it tightly, doing a full circle to try and pinpoint the source of the stench. I narrowed my eyes and gestured for Newell to follow me, which he did, as I went around to the side of the house. I inched along the brick wall, pausing near the end to peek around the corner.

Sure enough, Edward was standing by his vehicle, talking in a low voice to Finneus, who stood nearby with his pot belly hanging over his slacks and a proud cigar poking past his lips. Edward seemed esctatic about something. A group of Zephyra members were tossing cans of gasoline onto the house in every direction. I turned back to press against wall to see Newell taking deep breathes, looking dizzy.

"Ugh, that stench is making me sick." He admitted. I frowned curiously. The smell must have struck him harder and quicker since he was smaller. He slumped against the side of the house. I grimaced and tore a bit of clothe off the sleeve of my shirt, handing it to him.

"Put this over your face and filter the air out as much as you can." I ordered. Newell just nodded and clumsy grabbed the cloth to cover his face. I turned back just as the Zephyra members finished emptying the cans. I took my chance and came out from my spot, making Newell groan in frustration as he followed.

I didn't even lift a finger as an invisible force shot out and knocked the departing Zephyra members back, making them yelp and drop their weapons as they slammed into the dirt. They tried to get up, but the force sat on top of them and held them down.

I looked at Finneus, who came around to yell at them for being silly when he realized what was happening and his beady eyes widened. He took a stumbling step back, stammering Edward's name. Edward came around to the other side of the car, then paused when he saw me.

Beside me, Newell pulled up short. He blanched, his eyes widening and his lips parting as if he had no words for the situation. I stopped walking, glancing back at Newell, who blinked rapidly, looking anywhere, but straight ahead as if he was trying to come up with a reasonable explanation as to what was happening.

"Vladimir," Edward decided to speak first, leaning against the hood of his SUV calmly, a hand in one pocket, "It's been a while. You look good." I looked at him calmly, despite the irritation that sparked in my blood at his nonchalance.

He'd betrayed his own son and had him tortured.

He abused my loved ones and he killed Luca's family. He also tormented my servants.

The chances of him escaping this situation alive were nonexistent.

"I always look good," I responded flatly, "You on the other hand look old. I thought you were supposed to be dead." Edward looked mildly offended as he pushed off the hood of the SUV, gesturing his hand out casually.