Chapter Six

Chapter Six (Vladimir)

Something was wrong.

I could feel it in the back of my mind. It was like an itch I couldn't scratch, no matter how much I shifted in my seat. I tried to ignore it, but something told me it had to do with Alexander. He didn't look all that excited to go out to an Italian rock concert with Slade and Mark. Alexander was a wallflower compared to those two. A very polite, well-mannered wall flower, who was too scared to take risks and prefered the dull silent life of a human.

"You look troubled." I glanced up past my dark hair to look at Storm, who sat on the other side of the small dining table in the restaurant. He twirled his pasta with a fork, looking annoyed with the marinara. I smiled lightly, resting my cheek against my fingers, my elbow resting on the arm of my chair.

"Stop playing with your food and eat it, Storm." I responded, ignoring his comment. He looked up, setting his fork down as he folded his arms over his chest, studying my face intently. He was trying to read me and I just smiled at his attempt before he rolled his eyes and sat back, frowning.

"Is it about that concert? I can call them. Mark should have his cell phone." He added, looking a bit concerned as he glanced at the clock. The boys had left at eight in the evening and it was already dangerously close to midnight. They weren't human, though. That would have put anyone else at ease, but they didn't know those boys.

Slade was fiesty, a deviant little child, but he wouldn't be able to fight off any enemies. He was too small and too slender, and definitely too inexperienced.

Mark was also not a very good fighter. He could street fight and probably fend off any human thugs, but if another enemy approached him, odds were that they'd beat Mark to a bloody pulp.

And Alexander was far too sweet and kind-hearted. He wouldn't have the strength in him to take someone else's life or hurt them in a way that would maim them. It was almost cute, but it wouldn't be cute if he came home with wounds.

"They won't hear you," I told Storm at last, making him frown at me, "They're at a rock concert. That music is far too loud for you to hear anything. That's why I never let you attend one. It's good music, don't get me wrong, but it'll be so loud it could make your eardrums burst. One of the perks." Storm seemed disgruntled by that, but looked away at the clock again. I smiled.

"If we're both too nervous to eat, we might as well retire to our rooms." I decided, sitting up straight as I took out my wallet to pay for our unfinished meal. Storm didn't argue as we paid and got up, heading to our rooms. We stepped out of the lift and walked down the hallway.

"Also," I added, turning to Storm, who looked up attentively, "Check on Zander. He seems upset that Slade didn't invite him out tonight. I think he needs a little talking to." Storm looked annoyed at that. It wasn't that he hated Zander. It was difficult to hate the boy with how intelligent and protective he was. A perfect match for Slade-- if only Slade would realize. Storm merely had a spark of Slade inside him that drove him to dislike those attributes.

"Why don't you do it?" Storm asked me, and despite his attempt to sound casual, his irritation was surfacing.

"Because I'm the big evil vampire who only knows how to kill and drink blood." I responded matter-of-factly with a grin that made Storm roll his eyes. He sighed and went to Zander's room, only having knocked once when the lift stopped at our floor again, making us snap our heads towards it, including Zander, who had just opened his door.

The doors didn't even open yet and I knew it was the boys. And they were in trouble.

The gates creaked open, revealing Slade and Mark with Kristophe right behind them, holding Alexander in his arms. My smile faded and I stood absolutely still as Storm and Zander instantly rushed over there.