Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven (Alexander)

We left Zander behind to watch over Slade while the rest of us raced outside to flag down a taxi. The sun was hot on our skin as we stood on the sidewalk, all of us antsy to hurry up and get back to the hotel. Especially with Vladimir not picking up his cell phone.

"Father, it's Storm again. I need you to call me as soon as possible. This is an emergency regarding the rebellion." Storm left a fifth voicemail before he hung up as we managed to get a taxi. Storm gave the driver the directions in Italian before turning to us.

"We need to get to the hotel. I'll check the rooms and see if I can find Kristophe's cell number anywhere. Maybe he'll be avaliable." He muttered nervously, tapping his foot and glancing out the window. I could feel the same uneasiness spread through me. It was safe to assume that William had either turned on us or was killed, resulting in Newell's freedom.

But who was leading Newell? According to Slade's vision, Newell was being led by someone and he was still blindfolded. So whoever it was didn't trust Newell either. Could it be someone from the rebellion, or William, or maybe someone stronger than Newell?

That thought sent an icy cold chill coursing up and down my spine as I nibbled my lip nervously, glancing at Mark, who was pursing his lips and bouncing his knee impatiently. The driver pulled up to the hotel and Storm threw more money than necessary, making the taxi driver gape after us before Storm slammed the door shut and led up straight into the hotel.

"What if no one picks up their phones? What do we do?" I asked nervously as we rushed to the lift and Storm hit the number to our floor, glancing up at the glowing numbers over our heads.

"We'll contact the Morettis. If what you say is true, Vincent will be able to tell us something." He informed me, making me frown.

"But Zephyra is threatening him. He won't be very happy to tell us anything." I pointed out, making Mark nod in agreement. Storm narrowed his eyes, hitting the button harder in impatience. I could see a tic forming in his jaw, making me grimace.

"No offense, but I couldn't possibly care less what happens to those Oneiroi. It's their fault for turning their back on my father and right now, he's my main priority." He stated and as soon as the doors to the lift opened, Storm was rushing through the hallway to our room as I whipped out my key card, inserting it into the lock on the door before we burst in and froze.

The room was destroyed.

There was no other term for the torn sheets and curtains that hung halfway off the windows, letting the blazing hot sunlight bleed into the room. Pillows were ripped open, feathers loose and flying as well as the thousands of papers Vladimir had stuffed into his briefcase. Clothes were strewn everywhere and even the walls looked as if they had been viciously clawed.

"What the hell?" Mark gasped in shock, looking at the grand piano that sat in the living room. It had been cracked in half, all the strings torn and coiled as the keys lay scattered around it. I cringed, touching a pair of claw marks on the black shiny surface before I looked up as Storm rushed past me into the bedroom.

I followed him, waving Mark to follow as Storm stooped to pick up papers, throwing them away before looking through more before he reached his father's suitcase. He tore it open and fumbled through the pockets.

"Why would they do this to the room? Vladimir hasn't been here all day, right?" I asked, confused, then looked at Mark when Storm didn't answer. Mark nodded, shifting uneasily.

"Vladimir left early this morning after calling Archibald. He told us he was going to go have a meeting with some people over something. I'm guessing he already knew about Newell and William. Didn't he say anything to you?" He asked. I shook my head, grimacing before I turned to Storm, who ripped a little booklet out of the pocket. He flipped it open quickly and took out his cell phone, dialing one of the numbers before dropping the booklet to listen as he set it to speaker phone so we could hear.