Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine (Alexander)

My whole body ached with pain as Claude twisted his fingers into my hair, pulling me along toward the other staircase. He was still breathing hard and he seemed to be in pain too, but I couldn't will my arms to punch at him anymore. It was like my body just wanted to shut down.

I forced myself to stay conscious, though, as Claude pulled me up the stairs. We got closer and I was surprised to see Vladimir standing there, looking calm and collected with Sen not too far away, bleeding profusely as he struggled to stay standing.

"About fucking time," Sen snarled at Claude, who glared at him, "You could've fucking told me he was telekinetic!" He looked like he wanted to go on until he saw me and his lips twisted into a sick smirk. I winced, then looked up to see Vladimir watching us, his expression blank.

I gasped as Claude brought me around so he was holding me against his chest. I squirmed a little as he struggled to get his fingers into my mouth. I tried to bit him, but he ignored my fangs slicing into his skin as he managed to hold my mouth open.

"All right, Vladimir, if I were you, I'd give yourself up or I'll rip the kid's teeth out. And I don't just mean his fangs either." Claude threatened, narrowing his eyes dangerously. I writhed, trying to get loose, but Sen came over and slugged me hard in the stomach, making me choke and crumple a little in Claude's arms.

Sen stood beside Claude, still breathing heavily as he blinked his strange eyes a few times until they were relatively normal again. His body seemed to crack and shift until it was human, save for the severely bleeding wounds dotting his skin.

Vladimir stared at them with an expression that could almost be called bored, but something about the way he was staring was too blank to be any kind of emotion. He was shutting it down so he could think.

Why was he even bothering to think?

He was a dictator! It was like Claude said. Vladimir had killed thousands of people. He killed anyone to climb his way to the top of the food chain. He destroyed the Court of Seven and stole his place as King of our species.

He had powers that far surpassed any of our species. He had powers that made Slade's look almost non-existent. He was intelligent and seemed to know everything about everything without even trying to. He was gorgeous in a manner so deadly it even scared me sometimes.

Why was he even contemplating their threat? There were plenty of people in our species that would be a better match for him. I never understood Vladimir's attraction to me. I knew he liked me. He told at least twice as far as I can remember, but he never told me why. Not exactly anyway. I felt like every time we spoke about it, he lied to me. Maybe he was even lying about being attracted to me, but I could never know because the look on his face was the look he was wearing at that moment.

"I'm waiting, all powerful god." Claude seethed, gripping one of my fangs, making it throb as blood gushed around it from Claude's fingers.

I looked back at Vladimir, blinking as his muscles seemed to relax.

What the hell was he doing?!

I squirmed in Claude's arms, shaking my head to get away from Claude's hands before I managed to get his fingers out of my mouth.

"Are you stupid?! Kill them already!" I managed, then winced as Claude grabbed my jaw. He brought his other hand up and I tried my chances to get away from him, but Sen hit me in the stomach again, making me choke as Claude gripped my fang between his thumb and forefinger.

I thought back to what Kristophe's fang had looked like after Claude had broken it. The jagged, broken edges, the blood gushing from the nerve inside and around it. It was pitiful. I squeezed my eyes shut until I heard Vladimir sigh, making me blink and look up at him as he took a step down the stairs.