Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen (Mark)

I suddenly knew how Luca felt asking all those questions.

What's going on?

What's happening?

Is someone hurt?

But no one would answer me. No one would even look at me as I sat on a park bench, my hands clamped between my knees. I was sore and my chest was tight from panicking. I had finally managed to calm down, sitting there with Luca beside me. He was still dressed in his silky black pajamas, his blue eyes following the man who paced in front of us.

Man? Was that even the right word for him?

No.

Vladimir Van Gothica was anything, but a normal man. He was a vampire. I don't care what Alexander or Storm said. Vladimir was a vampire and he would kill anyone to get what he wanted and right now, he wanted blood. He didn't say anything and his expression was placid as usual, but I was practically suffocating in his lethal aura. Even Luca had flinched when Vladimir came to pick us up from the neighbor's house.

Once we informed him of Alexander and Storm's kidnapping, Vladimir had become cold with an aura so hot and raging that it burned my skin to be around him. He drove us to the nearby park and made us sit down. We'd been here for what felt like hours, just having Vladimir pace and think.

"You are not doing anything," Luca spoke at last, making me wince and glare at him, even if he couldn't see me, "You must put forth action, Vladimir. You are wasting time."

"I think he knows that," I muttered, making Luca tilt his head toward me in irritation, "But he can't just jump into their hands and pull some Superman rescue bullshit. He needs to plan this. They have Storm and Alex and could hurt them at any time if he pulls any kind of move." Luca averted his eyes, trying to find Vladimir, but he had stopped walking to stare into one of the four fountains of Neptune.

The crystal water rippled as the statue spilt it forth from its palms to the large, round pool below. Vladimir leaned near the edge to peer into the water before turning to face me, making me frown.

"Have you thought of something yet?" I asked quietly. I knew Vladimir didn't like me. I'd always known that. I'd been hated by enough people to know when someone didn't like me, so I watched my step around him, especially without Storm here to back me up.

"No," Vladimir told me honestly, his voice still montone in a way that hardly let me onto what he was thinking, "But it's not safe to stay here in the open. We need to get somewhere secure. Somewhere with a phone." I rose to my feet, pulling Luca up with me when I noticed him still sitting silently.

"A phone? You can't call Storm. They probably took his phone." I offered, making Vladimir nod as he walked past us. I grimaced and pulled Luca along behind me, ignoring the stares from the tourists, who watched a blind boy in pajamas struggle to keep up with me.

"I know that," Vladimir answered as he headed to the street, pausing to only stand there as a taxi drove up towards us, "I don't want to call Storm. I want to call Kristophe."

"I think Claude took his phone too." I added, making Vladimir give me a curt nod that told me that was the point. I blushed, feeling stupid as I climbed into the car silently, pulling Luca in beside me. We sat by Vladimir, who directed the driver in perfect Italian. Luca said something in Italian and Vladimir responded, making me snort.

"Hello. I don't know what you guys are saying." I insisted in aggravation.

"We are mocking your shoes." Luca answered carelessly, making me roll my eyes as Vladimir scanned the streets, talking to the driver in Italian. It wasn't long before we reached the hotel. I really didn't want to be here again, but last time, I wasn't with Vladimir and there was no doubt in my mind that he could destroy any attackers without even lifting a finger.