I'd Fall Anywhere With You, I'm By Your Side

Lyla's P.O.V:

I got back to Vic's house, parked my car in the driveway, and walked into the house clutching the box to my chest. "Vic?" I hollered. No answer. After walking around for a while I discovered I was alone; Vic had said something about having a meeting with their management team this afternoon. I figured they were probably still there. I tossed my car keys onto the counter in the kitchen and set my box down as I rummaged through the fridge in search of something to snack on. I was met with beer, beer, and more beer, but what did I expect? This was a house full of boys who loved their alcohol more than life itself. I managed to snag a Monster and drank half of it as I stared at their bare cabinets hoping something would miraculously appear before my eyes, but of course that didn't happen. I groaned and finished off the energy drink with one more big chug, tossing it in the trash as I grabbed my box and stomped up to Vic's room. I sat the box of stuff down on Vic's dresser and proceeded to change my clothes. I changed into a pair of yoga pants and a San Diego Chargers shirt that I found in Vic's closet. I put on a pair of tennis shoes and threw my hair up in a bun on top of my head before I headed back downstairs, grabbed my car keys, and sauntered out to my car to head to Whole Foods.

If I was going to be here for a few more weeks there HAD to be food in the house or I would not be happy. And if mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy!

I had remembered seeing the Whole Foods just a few blocks from their house and I got there in no time; luckily it wasn't very busy considering it was the middle of the afternoon. I walked in and grabbed a cart, pushing it up and down every singe aisle, filling the cart with anything that caught my eye. This was sure to cost a fortune but I didn't care; when I say they had no food at their house I meant it. Not a damn thing. While there I decided I would cook dinner for them; it wouldn't be nearly as good as Mama Fuentes' cooking, but not much could compare to that. Mine would be edible at least. I grabbed fresh veggies to make a salad, tossing extra vegetables in for Tony. I picked out some fruit: a bunch of bananas, an array of oranges, apples, peaches, and grapes, sitting them gently in the cart next to the veggies. I didn't really know what they all liked, except for Vic that is, so I just took my best guess. I knew Tony was a vegetarian, Mike was kind of picky so he was always difficult to shop for, and as far as I could tell Jaime would eat anything, edible or not.

I grabbed the usual stuff I knew would be needed: eggs, bread, milk, cereal, chips, bagels, juice, soda, butter, peanut butter, jelly, macaroni and cheese, hot pockets, stuff like that. I finished gathering what I would need for dinner and grabbed a few things that I wanted before making my way up to the checkout. I passed a magazine stand and grabbed a few, tossing them in with the rest of the stuff. Might as well add to it; what's a few more dollars when you've already spent a few hundred, right?!

I began loading the things onto the belt, receiving a half-hearted hello from the woman behind the cash register. After everything was unloaded I walked down a ways, waiting in front of the register for my total, cringing as I watched it climb higher and higher on the screen. I dug through my purse and grabbed my sunglasses, setting them on top of my head before I pulled my wallet out. "Okay, ma'am that'll be-" the woman looked up at me and paused. "Oh my gosh Lyla? Lyla James?" she shrieked and I looked up from the floor meeting her gaze. It took me a minute to place her, it had been a really long time after all, but eventually it hit me.

"Amanada Cain, how are you?" I asked nicely, giving her a warm smile.

"I'm doing great. Wow, Lyla, it's been a long time! You look so different I almost didn't recognize you!" she replied excitedly and I nodded my head. We spoke for a few minutes, reminiscing about the good old days at Mission Bay High School. Our conversation was cut short when a line began to form behind me; I handed her my credit card to pay for the almost $300 grocery bill. We exchanged phone numbers before I left; we hadn't been extremely close in high school, but we were friends to say the least. It wouldn't hurt to reconnect with a few people while I was here. The bagger loaded my bags into my cart and I said goodbye to Amanada before heading out of the store, dropping my sunglasses down onto my face as the midday sun beat down on me. I loaded everything into the trunk and took off back towards the house.