II

FEBRUARY 1512

THE OLD WORLD

LADY ADALYNN IRWIN

-

I opened the door to the room; I was to lie in for the time I was to be possessed. It was designed for comfortability and had the finest of furniture. I admired the soft fabric of the bed as I sat down and stretched my neck. I paused and looked to my wrist of where my age had been inscribed.

Twenty- one, papa had told me.

I had just completed regulating the estate, just in time. Papa had been helping me all week. There were so many duties of mine that I had to passed onto others, and I had a headache coming from feeling uncomfortable. I disliked giving my tasks to others, they were mine to complete.

The door opened and Papa walked out. His eyes crinkled into a smile as he saw me sitting on the bed, stroking the fabric. He silently sat on the large brown armchair. I shrugged and smiled. His expression did not shake.

"Are you ready," Papa asked, as if the words were the hardest thing to say.

"Why wouldn't I be, papa," I laughed, "haven't I been ready for everything standing in my path."

He smiled and patted the bed, "Lie down then."

I picked up my dress and neatly arranged it the chiffon beside me, fluffing the pillow as I lay may head on it. As papa looked around the room, I released a breath. I was anything but calm, my heart wouldn't stop beating, a flippant little thing.

He looked back to me; an eyebrow raised. As much as the desire to be honest, was overwhelming, I flashed an innocent smile at him.

"Papa, I'm fine," I laughed. He looked down at me, his hands caressing my golden hair.

"Adalynn, you must know that we will be here, and we will do our utmost to find the man," he said a hint of seriousness creeping into his tone and then he laughed, "We'll find your suitor."

"Papa," I whined swatting him as a soft blush rose to my face. For the first time in my life, I was not ready for this encounter. Bring me armies to battle or make me argue with the king, that I would be able to do with courage but ask me to fall in love with a man, I am lost.

"Well, I must say goodbye," papa said, stroking my left eyebrow, "Before Lady Marissa arrives, we won't be able to get a word in after she bestows us with her presence." I laughed.

"Papa, she is not that wild," I said, his eyes dimmed, and he raised both his brows, I laughed.

"You ought to know that Lady Marissa is indeed wild," Papa said. I nodded and then took a deep breath, as I realised that the time was floating away and the time of my birth drew closer, every moment.

"I love you; you must never think otherwise."

"Why would I," he laughed, then bent down to kiss my forehead, "I love you more."

He stood and pausing next to the door, he gave me a final look, filled with the uncertainty of the future before he left the room. The wooden door softly closed behind him. The door seemed to irritate me as thoughts of running away from this ordeal flashed in my mind. I rubbed my forehead.

If there was a possible method of not being possessed, I would have done so at this moment. A shiver began to rise in my arm, and I had to bite my teeth and curl my toes to prevent myself from running or screaming.

I was staring bloody daggers at the door as it opened again, and a joyful face popped out to greet me. I studied her, seeing my friend as though I would never lay my eyes on her ever again. Her hair was soft, a silky brown but right now it was piled on top of her head and she resembled a harridan.