XVII

MARCH 1512

THE OLD WORLD

LADY MARISSA EATON

-

"Marissa," the Duke said, his hand resting on his forehead. The duke had aged in just a week, lines forming on his forehead and creasing his face, "I should advise you to be careful and to travel by in awareness, but I know you are a strong personality and you'd allow no person to take advantage.

"Why, of course, sire," I said a smug smile on my face, he rarely complimented me, rather choosing to admonish me and every moment of my rash behaviour.

"It seems that my rash behaviour does have its benefits," I laughed.

"It seems it does," he agreed sullenly, "But I will still not encourage it."

"I know, sire," I joked. A small smile reached his face and he looked to his hands.

"I am deeply thankful for what you are doing for Adalynn, I know you will not accept my gratitude, but I give it to you anyway."

"Sire, I do not accept it, Adalynn means the world to me and I will only give her the best."

"She does that to a lot of people."

"Do what," I asked, pretending to act innocent though we knew what he meant.

"Worm her way into the hearts of people and remain there."

"Well, she is Adalynn," I said, "and it seems to me she wriggled into the heart of her father most of all."

"That she did but then you did too," he said unabashedly. I looked at him, brows raised. A blush seeped into my cheeks. He may know it and I knew it too, his words meant a lot to me. He had always been the father I needed, always by my side. Whatever he taught Adalynn, he taught me. Whatever he gave Adalynn, he gave me. I loved him like a father.

"Me," I asked in polite shock. He nodded.

"It is sad, indeed," he said. I laughed.

"Well," the Duke said, his expression becoming serious, "Sir Elmer Garfield came the other day and I have given him what he needs."

"Thank you, sire," I responded.

"He is a good man, he will be a good knight for the realm."

"Well then, sire, if that is settled, I guess I must say farewell to my darling husband and best friend."

"Well, then I bid you goodbye." I curtsied and left the room.

"My lady," a servant said, I looked at her.

"The Lord has arrived; he is waiting next to lady Adalynn's chambers for you."

"Thank you, dear," I said and walked away to find my husband.

Will stood against the wall, looking absolutely charming in his fitted suit. His eyes were closed, and he had not noticed me yet, so I took my time. My eyes laboriously covered him from head to toe, from his thick brown hair to the luscious tilt of his nose to the aura he carried around himself.

"Will," I said quietly, emotion had restricted my tone and I was keeping this image locked in my mind. His eyes opened and he turned to me , a slow wide smile spreading across his face.

"Marissa," he said, "How beautiful you look."

"Don't I really," I replied in my usual cocky tone. He rolled his eyes and placed his hand on my neck, guiding me forward to his lips.

The kiss was slow and soft, we took our time forcing all emotions into it. Our lips were like calm waves, overlapping one another in harmony. He withdrew his face from mine; his hands were cupping my face as he stared into my eyes.

"I cannot bear to part from you, or to let you leave," he said, "But it is because I love you and I know who you are that I would never restrain you." I smiled at him and pressed my lips to his again.

"Go, find this foolish man, who decided to make our lives difficult by travelling to the other side of the world. Bring him back and we'll be done with this," he whispered, "Do not allow anyone to come next to you or to hurt you, be careful and I love you."

I smiled again and gently removed his hands from my face, allowing them to drop to his side.

"Oh, also I will accompany you to the port," he said.

"If you weren't coming, I would have tied you up and forced you," I replied joking.

"I honestly do not know if you are being serious or making me a fool."

"It could be both, isn't that the fun of it."

"Always, m'darling," he said laughing, "I'm going to miss our jesting."

"You will learn to value me, then, will you not," I grinned.

He smiled and turned me around and gently prodded me in its direction, "Go, see Adalynn."

I nodded and prepared myself to see Adalynn's unmoving body lying on the bed. It was indeed a pain to see my best friend lying so quietly.

She was there, like in my mind, laying down. Her skin had become slightly paler due to the lack of sun, but she still looked remarkably beautiful. I sat down beside her and took her limp hand into mine.

"Darling," I said quietly, "You look beautiful lying here."

It was nerve-wracking to see her not talk with me.

"I have good news," I said, "I have found where your beloved is."

She smiled in her state.

"But there is also bad news, he happens to be in India, it is far away, nearly six months travel but I shall bear anything for you."

I stopped to stare at her hand in my hand. Her fingers were long and nimble, those fit for a woman of high status and beauty.

"I will find this wretched beloved of yours, that dared to travel this far and bring him back and then you shall awake, and you shall be fine."

Her eyes fluttered open and I got a glimpse of her blue eyes, but they shut fast. She was waking. But not properly, she was walking to her deliriousness.

"You shall be fine."

I stood up and pressed a kiss to her forehead.

"I love you Adalynn," I said, tears forming in the corners of my eyes. I looked at her for a long second then moved to walk back to the door.

I wandered, in that moment, what the king's court was doing without her presence. She was an influential woman and a lot of the country's affairs rested on her shoulders.

She was magnificent that way.

A whisper arose from Adalynn's mouth, hoarse and dry in tone, the words carried no meaning yet carried all the meaning in the world, "An empire in which the sun never sets."

***

And with the conclusion of this chapter, we shall jump forward a couple decades to the present. Hope you have fun waiting for a continuation of the old world. But more importantly, have fun trying to figure out the old world is connected to present one.

OOMPA LOOMPA