IV

FEBRYUARY 1512

THE OLD WORLD

LADY MARISSA EATON

-

I rushed into the Irwin estate; the cold slapped my face as the door shut behind me. I had been delayed by my duties, which meant I had less time to question Adalynn.

The burden of my promise to her weighed down as I opened her room door. Every time I saw her on the bed, it shocked me. Before this, I hardly ever remember seeing her asleep, she was such an early riser. She was my alarm clock for important meetings and now she was asleep. Permanently asleep.

I removed my coat and scarf as I watched her.

"Adalynn, hello darling," I muttered stroking her hair. Her eyes flew open and I jerked back. The blue of her eyes took on a glass like sheen as she stared at me.

"You are going to ask questions," she said. I bit my lip and nodded.

"You do not want to ask questions," she said, and her eyelids fluttered.

"Yes, I do, darling. If I don't ask, how will find him?" I asked. She shook her head.

"He does not want to be found," she murmured tossing her head. I pursed my lips.

"No darling, there is nothing like that. Just tell me."

"He has brown eyes and hair like a flame," she replied, her eyes suddenly meeting mine. Goosebumps rose on my arm as she looked, and I swallowed.

"Darling," I said forcing a smile, "Are you okay."

Her eyes depend in colour and then they looked away and closed. Her body slumped on the bed and I could tell she had fallen asleep. I touched her hair again, nothing happened.

"Adalynn, darling," I whispered as not to startle her. I needed more information about him. "What else can you tell me, except his eyes and hair colour."

Nothing happened for a few moments but then she groaned; her blonde hair had coiled at the back of her head into a rather unflattering style. Sweat dripped off her forehead. A look of shock morphed onto her face and she entered another spasm of pain. I stood up and walked a few steps away, uncertain. I didn't understand what was happening.

"Adalynn, darling," I whispered, walking closer to her, "Are you okay, love, tell me what you see."

"He is wealthy," she murmured her head tilting. A small smile flittered across my face but then disappeared as she groaned again. Ignoring it, I asked again,

"What else do you see."

"The world would not be as so without his existence and nor would it be as cold," she groaned. I bit my lip.

"Whatever do you mean."

"When the world turns dark and there is nothing left, he will not move or gather to find the pieces. He will always remain a statue of who he is. Selfish and unflinching." My eyes widened and I looked at her, pressing my hand to her forehead. A fever was most likely to come her way. The words of deliriousness's had taken on a dark turn, one I wasn't sure was meant to happen.

"What else can you see, except from that," I asked. My voice wavered.

"He's far away, he's from a noble family."

"Okay, darling. That is good. Do you see anything else of consequence."

"His life has been lived for a far too long time so that he has grown weary of knowledge and powerful in status, it is indeed a sad life," she said. I sighed, mopping her forehead with a cotton cloth.

"Could you not talk in code, for one moment in your life," I asked her. She closed her eyes and she dropped back into a state of unconsciousness. She mummer red under her breath, her head shaking. I strained to listen but could not catch a word.

"He is old," she said. I peered at her, confused if she meant by age or soul.

"He is old," I repeated. She shook her head again.

"He has grown weary due to age." I sighed and did not take her speech to heart though I kept it stored for possible later use.

"Can you see where he lives," I asked slowly.

"He remains within closed walls allowing neither sunlight nor moonlight play with the figments of his soul." I sighed, my eyelids drooping.

The door behind me opened. I turned and my heart dropped as I saw the Lord Irwin. I hadn't anything of importance to tell him. I stood and curtsied.

"Lord Irwin," I said.

"How is she, Marissa," he asked, sitting.

"Her condition remains the same," I replied.

"Has she spoken of anything else," he asked. His brows furrowed as he took my terse tone.

"No, she repeats the same thing, in codes as well, if you would believe," I laughed, no humour in my tone.

"Is your connection with her strong," he asked me.

"Yes, I hear what she desires to tell me, which isn't of much use." A thoughtful look covered the lord's face and his face sunk into his arms. I studied the deep lines etched into his forehead, carved after the death of his wife. I turned to Adalynn, trying to sympathize with his worry. Adalynn meant the world to him.

"What shall I do from here," I asked, confused.

"It is best that you leave, visit all the noble families in the country, he is English you say."

"Yes, according to Adalynn."

I looked back to her; we had not told her a lot of things, as not to worry her. Her duties at court had not been handed to anyone. They could not be regulated; they were too advanced for the ordinary man. I had taken them, and I wasn't as half as good as her. The whole section of her duty was a mess. The army general had been trying to seek her out all morning, to ask from her advice. It had only been a day, yet the country missed her. I looked back to the lord. His jaw was set, and I cocked my head.

"Then you will be soon invited to all the noble families of England," he said as a man of pure conviction.

"I shall?" I asked.

"It will be arranged," he replied, "Keep your connection with her strong, if she shall need to contact you, you must be present."

"There is also the slight fact that it seems the lord is far from us, so would it be possible for us to begin with the families furthest from us."

"It can be arranged," the Lord nodded.

"Well then the sooner I leave, hopefully the faster I shall find him."

He nodded thoughtfully and spoke, "You must try your hardest."

"I would never let her down, my lord."

No words were spoken as the lord smoothed down Adalynn's hair, "She looks dreadful."

"She shall be fine; she is a woman of strength."

"She is," he whispered not voicing all of the other thoughts running through his head.

"Of those from the furthest, which family must I begin with?"

"Those with the most calibre, you must start with the richest of them, the most honourable."

"It shall be done."

OOMPA LOOMPA