XXVII

JANUARY 2020

THE MODERN WORLD

AZEALA LAQUI

-

"Do you even know, what kids eat," I asked, looking back at Louis. He raised a brow.

"What do you expect to make from the ingredients we brought," he asked, looking at me like I was an idiot.

"How do I know, you brought the food stuff and I got the presents," I retorted, "for heck's sake, Louis, just tell me."

"Make pancakes," he grinned, "Make pancakes with blueberries and blackberries." I turned to the ingredients in shock and then turned back to Louis ashamed to admit it.

"What," he asked seeing my expression, he was rummaging through the cupboards, looking for suitable pans and spoons to make the pancakes.

"I don't know how you make pancakes," I muttered eventually. He raised a brow and leaned back on the counter and laughed.

"What," I asked feeling annoyed.

"I guess, were even know."

"How so."

"I don't know who Shakespeare is and you, Azeala, don't know how to make pancakes," he said looking quite pleased with himself for using my name. I had taken the nearby spoon and was playing with it. I shot him a glare.

"First of all, do not say my name at all," I said, "and second of all, knowing how not to pancakes is not a crime, but not knowing who Shakespeare is."

"I take it you're into literature," he said laughing, and then as a second thought said my name, "Azeala." I growled at him.

"Yes, I am," I said, "how does that affect you."

"And maybe history and the nerdy stuff." Now it was my turn to laugh.

"For your information and only because you asked, I hate history."

He looked quite taken aback and paused for a moment, a smile covering his face.

"Why does everyone hate history."

"Oh my god, don't tell you me you don't hate history." He shook his head and I groaned.

"We are not going to talk about history right now, let's just make the bloody pancakes, before the kids wake up."

"Why not, afraid of an argument, Azeala."

"stop saying my name," I gritted knowing that my words were just succeeding in making him say my name more often, "I am not afraid of an argument, it is just that if we start arguing it will never end." He shrugged looking okay with my answer.

"So, shall we start, princess," he said. I smiled to myself, glad he had not said my name.

"I mean, Azeala," he said. I groaned and chucked the spoon at his head. He just chuckled.

For the next hour and a half, we failed then managed to come up with a good batch of pancakes. The smell wafted around the kitchen and I sat down in front of it.

"What," Louis said, "are you doing." I had broken off a piece of the pancake and dipped it in the whipped cream and was guiding it to my mouth.

"Eating pancakes," I said a smile on my face.

"They are for the kids," he said. I nodded, shrugged then ate it staring directly at him.

"That's the last one," he warned. I stuck my tongue out.

"What you gonna do about it." He looked at me, his eyes travelling over my body.

"A lot," he said. I laughed; his voice had gone deep for a moment.

"Maybe," I said, "One of us should go and call the kids." He looked at me and nodded, but I just waited expectantly.

"You want me to go," he asked, an obnoxious look on his face.

"Yes, I want you to go." He sighed and got up.

"What do I get from this," he asked.

"You get to spend more time with me," I replied with a seductive smile, "now get up and bloody move."

He went. I sat on the chair of the table and looked at my hands. It was wierd, I was talking freely and confidently with him. I wasn't worried and I was joking. I hardly ever joked with strangers; it was weird that I was doing so.

I heard, children's footsteps sounding in the corridor and they burst through the door. Three of them, first. The three that had welcomed us earlier on.

"You're very pretty," the older girl said. I nodded and smiled.

"Thank you."

"So, Louis said you made pancakes, is that true," she asked. I nodded and asked her if she wanted a plate. She nodded and I gave her one.

The children had slowly drifted into the room and noise had increased with them. It was nice. I gave out presents to them and they thanked me. By the end, all the kids looked completely full and had happy smiles on their faces. They all dribbled out of the kitchen slowly, with the instructions of tehri caretaker. It was adorable yet sad sight to see.

"Thank you," the caretaker smiled, "You have given them a time they will remember." I felt heat rush to my face.

"I am pleased to do so," I replied. She nodded.

"You may leave, when you are ready to do so," she said. I nodded again and she left the kitchen. Louis sat on the other side of the room with a grin on his face.

"What you smiling about," I asked him.

"You blushed," he said. I shook my head, indignant.

"I did not."

"It's funny to see you do so, you don't blush or get flustered with anything , but the moment she compliments you on doing something good, you are bright red."

"Shut up," I said flippantly, then asked, "What about you, you have this hard and rough exterior but when it comes to children, all hard and annoying on the outside, but children come in and your all nice."

He looked down, unexpectedly, something overcoming him. His eyes had a sort of sad look.

"What," I asked worried.

"A long time ago," he said quietly. I tensed up, at his expression. He was being serious now. He rubbed his hand over his head.

"A long time ago, when I was a different man, I had fallen in love and I had wanted children with her," he said his voice sad. I didn't pester him for facts or details. I just looked at him.

I guess we both had lost a lot in our lives.

OOMPA LOOMPA