XIII

MARCH 1512

THE OLD WORLD

LADY MARISSA EATON

-

As Will left, I moved back to the table, now with a feel of determination. I grabbed the book, trying to be a little delicate, to keep the book in good condition. Flipping open the pages, I focused on the name Walter. The name appeared through the paragraph many times, but never came with his second name. I was sure now that this was how it was to work. If I could find his family name, I would be one step closer to finding him.

Frustration soon overcame me, and I stood up to take a quick walk around the table as an attempt to stretch my legs.

"My lady," a servant said from beside me, I looked to her.

"Yes." she handed me a piece of old parchment, frayed at the sides.

"It was on the floor, my lady," she said seeing my look of confusion.

"Thank you." the servant left, and I flipped the parchment over as I walked, eyes skimming the writings. I quickly froze.

The oldest son was in agreement to take in marriage the daughter of the king.

It was said so by the psychic William.

I read it again and again., before running to the shelves. I was glad that Will had explained to me the system of the shelving.

"Is anyone here aware of the psychic William," I asked. A nearby servant called one of the boys walking past and ushered him to me.

"Hello," I said, confused as to how he was supposed to help me.

"My lady."

"Are you interested in history and books," I asked. He nodded.

"Certainly, miss," he said. I looked to the servant, but she smiled at me, tipping her head to the boy.

"Well then, can you find me the name, William." He gave me the weirdest of looks, on that meant nearly all the people of England had the name William.

"He is a psychic, and should be a famous one," I said. A look of triumph covered the little boy's face and he ran off. I found myself smiling at his excitement.

He came running back not a minute sooner, a book in his hand.

"You can't possibly have found the book already," I exclaimed.

"I love this man," the little boy said.

"You love a psychic from 500 years ago, who is named William."

"Yes," he said, like it was nothing , and opened the book on the table. I leaned forward to read with him.

"Well, you see miss, the man was an advisor to the king. He is said to have said many prophecies." An excited smile covered my face.

"Do you know any prophecies said about his daughter," I asked the kid, who was undoubtedly proving to be more apt and cleverer than me. Not that I'm saying I am clever, because I am not.

"Yes, M'Lady," he said and flipped the pages of the book, landing on one.

"Here." I looked to where he had pointed. I read it.

Tis indeed the child of Acosta, who shall be wed to the daughter of the king in alliance. Tis will be the man who desires it the most.

I nearly jumped up in joy.

"What does Acosta mean," I asked the kid. He looked at me in half-astonishment.

"Are you asking me, M'lady," he asked. I nodded.

"Why, do you not know."

"I do," he said in a small voice, "But I am taught not to offer any of my knowledge to the noble, it is bad to do so." I looked at him, a moment of tenderness overcoming me.

"You needn't worry, I am not that sort of person."

"Okay," he smiled, "Acosta is a Spanish word meaning coast, the prophecy was meant to Roger Marci. He was a man who loved the sea." My excitement dimmed.

"Are you sure of this explanation," I asked. The boy's eyes twinkled.

"Yes, that is what is in the books, but my father said it actually is a name." I smiled again.

"Well, your father is a wise man," I said. The boy grinned at me.

"Father loves reading, he wanted to write but mother said it does not bring money to the household so he cannot do it," the body explained, "But he still reads a lot."

"What else did your father say," I asked him, leaning forward, "If the name is Acosta."

"Only one thing," the boy whispered like we were conspiring against a force.

"He said the man left the country." I could not be happier as I heard the boy speak. The boy turned to me.

"I must go M'lady," he said, "My mother expects me to see to the apples." I nodded.

"Thank you," I said, waiting for him to say his name.

"Benedict," he said blushing.

"Thank you, Benedict." The boy smiled one last time before running off in the other direction. I began to look for the name Acosta on the shelves again.

Time passed. the sun outside set, sending eerie colours of red and yellow beaming through the stained glass. The colours spread across the room and the lit candle beside me was the only source of clarity. And in a moment of pure ecstasy, I found the information I was looking for. In the most bizarre of places, and especially in a place I had looked by accident.

The shipment records.

Acosta 51460001312

I tried to read the code in vain, hoping the numbers would lead me to a place. the code, I finally found at the very back of the book was:

5140 India -5140

+2 Madras -5142

+4 Bombay -5144

+6 Calcutta -5146

I broke out in cold sweat and half in joy. He was in India. the thought made me happy. I had found where he was. But then the thought brought me back down. India was 6 months away. Reading the pack of the page, I understood the key. The first four numbers where the place is, the last three were of the shipper's number and the middle four were the shipment made by them. I looked at it and the most brilliant of ideas hit me.

Even if there was only one Acosta logged in, the shipment number could betray the identity. I searched years and years of shipments and then finally hit the mark. I found it logged many times under the same name - Susurro.

Susurro 51460002312

Susurro 51460003312

Susurro 51460004312

I got up and whispered to myself in joy.' I had found the person. His name was Susurro and he was in Calcutta.

Just when I had finished jumping around in pure joy a man stumbled into the room. He looked confused and wary. I watched him.

"Are you alright, sire," I asked. He groaned, nodded and then slumped to the floor.

OOMPA LOOMPA