Chapter Nineteen

Cole Black's Point of View

It was currently dinner time and everyone was still buzzing over all of the excitement over the first day of classes for the year. I especially loved today, not only did Potions, for the first time ever, go right and smoothly but in Charms, I made Grange storm out of the classroom. 

We were practicing non-verbal summoning charms and not to brag but I was the first one to get it. We were suppose to be summoning medium-heavy stones which were placed in a line at the front of the classroom and Granger couldn't even move it an inch. When I told her she was doing it wrong and she needed to let her magic go and flow free instead of just waving her wand around meaninglessly, she shouted at me for trying to get her killed after Seamus' stone exploded and almost knocked her unconscious. Then she left the class mid way through and lost 30 points from Gryffindor. This would a memory I would cherish forever, however it could be more perfect if that exploded stone did actually knock her unconscious. 

I contemplated it for a minute before shrugging and picking up my chopsticks to eat my black bean noodles. I forget the proper name for the dish but it was delicious none the less. Most of the other students would not know of it but if you were polite enough and knew exactly what to say, the house elves could specially prepare a meal for you. Heaps of muggleborns with gluten and lactose problems know of it but the others, not so much. 

"I still cannot believe you and Luna got the vials of Veritaserum, what are thinking about using it for?" I heard Pansy ask from her place next to Kaelie. Those two were getting along really well, I am really happy for her, that she is able to finally be making other friends after being home schooled all of her life. 

"Well, I don't really know to tell you all the truth. I'm pretty sure if it did get used for something stupid or reckless we could just Severus to supervise us so another batch could be made." I saw Emrys nod obviously deep in thought about something. I can never figure out what goes on in that blokes mind. 

"We could use it on Dumbledore and then record the conversation with Kaelie's muggle video camera?" Draco suggested

"Yes but how are we to get him alone with it and for long enough to not be caught by other professors" Kaelie shot back.

"Well, it's a start of an idea. For now I reckon it is much safer to just go to my private quarters and watch in on the first teachers meeting of the year. Depending on what happens there, we will at least know where everyone's loyalties lie." I say sipping on my goblet of pumpkin juice. Everyone agrees and then quietens down so we can all finish eating and go to my private quarters. 

About 40 minutes later all of us have arrived there will the necessary equipment for the show; popcorn, blankets, notebooks and pens. All of us were going to have a notebook and pen each so we can write down anything worth noting down and then compare notes and decide who we can trust and rely on and who we can't. Draco and I were seated on a love couch cuddling with my blue and silver blanket draped over us, Kaelie, Pansy and Luna took the three seater couch and had two bags of popcorn between them and Emrys and Emerald were lounging over an armchair in what didn't seem to be a comfortable position but apparently was. 

With an incantation and a wave of my hand a glassy but smokey screen appeared in front of all of us and soon images and voices starting forming. All of the staff were seated around a rather large circular table that seemed to be located in a part of the Headmaster's office. 

"How was everyone's first days, were the students well behaved and excited to start off the new year?" Dumbledore spoke up and a few of the professors snuck glances at each other. 

"Well my classes went quite well today, nothing out of the ordinary happened and everyone was listening and quite excited to learn new things" The Muggle Studies teacher, Professor Burbage, was the first one to speak up and Dumbledore smiled and nodded before looking around the rest of the room, his eyes landing on a rather startling familiar face.

"How about you Remus, how was the fourth and seventh years today?" Dumbledore asked with a twinkling in his uneasy bright blue eyes. The man himself sat with his back painfully straight, he wasn't comfortable in that room. I noticed he continued to avoid eye contact as he talked about how there was a small argument between the fourth year Gryffindors and Slytherins but they were put back in line quickly.

"I am most glad to hear this Remus, it seems you have adjusted back into your role of the defense against the dark arts professor quite splendidly.  I also hear many students are quite pleased you are the new DADA professor. If I am not mistaken previously the students haven't had a very clear and stable time in those classrooms." Remus meekly nodded before scratching the palm of his hand. 

"How about you Severus, I assume your sixth year Slytherin and Ravenclaw class went well?" Severus said nothing choosing to nod once. This seemed to slightly irritate Dumbledore. Even if Severus and I still weren't on the best terms, I knew I could trust him and I could tell that he trusted us as well.

"The new students, they have had no problems settling in then I assume?" Dumbledore pushed and Severus' eye twitched, Dumbledore was trying to invade his mind. 

"No problems Headmaster, in fact they are fitting in better than others would think."

"And their housemates aren't giving them any trouble?"

"No, why would you ask?" Severus drawled, his eyes hardening as he seemed to continue to be fighting off the Headmaster's legilimency. 

"Nothing Severus, it is just that they are not known for their welcoming and kindness. That is why I sent a letter to them to ask for a meeting but they didn't seem to receive it" Dumbledore continued obviously hoping to break Severus.

"Now now, Albus, you do know any letters from teachers to students will immediately be sent to the head of the students house as a student must have another person present with them if in the presence of a teacher or adult figure to prevent any potential abuse or harm" Professor Mcgonagall spoke for the first time that night and I could see Dumbledore's hand itching for his wand.

"Are you implying I would send or bring harm to my students?" Dumbledore said receiving no reply from Mcgonagall except for a bidding of a good night and the billowing of robes behind her. All of the other professors seemed to be stiff with tension and that didn't lessen any until they had all left the room of the Headmaster's office. 

After the abrupt ending of the meeting the screen closed and the group of us were speechless at the events that had occurred. From this meeting we concluded that we can trust and confide in Severus and Professor Mcgonagall, that all of the professors were tense around the headmaster, and that something was seriously and most definitely  wrong with one Remus Lupin.