five

Sorry for taking this too long.

.

.

Isabel's POV

I sat on the seat at the back of Miss Warren's car silently watching the cars passed by. I knew the woman didn't take the prescription paper from Dr. Styles so I know the next few days will be hell for me.

I carefully touched the stitches on my scalp and winced when I made contact with a deeper cut. To be honest, I'm quite thankful that Miss Warren took me away from that hideous place.

For once in my life, I'm thankful that she's with me.

Err... that sounds really weird.

I don't need a physical exam. I've been fine without a doctor's exam before.

We arrived at the orphanage and I opened the car door. Miss Warren came strolling behind me with a relieved face.

"Go to your room." She ordered.

"And don't get into trouble. I have enough of your attitude today, Miss Smith."

I nodded and make my way to the bedroom.

/+/+/

I've been tossing and turning for the past 2 hours now. The pounding headache doesn't make the situation better.  Not to mention that the pain medication that I was given by Dr.  Styles has already starts to wear off.

I walk towards the window in my room and sat on the floor. I opened the window and a gush of wind flow through the open space. I hug my body tighter to keep myself warm and stare out at the night sky.

I noticed that the moon is full tonight and it glows lighting up the sky. The empty sky is blank - no stars filling it tonight.

"I know you are somewhere out there, somewhere far away," my mother's voice starts to fill my  mind.

Oh no. Not now.

I can't bear thinking of my family right now. It's too painful, like a bandage covering a wound being ripped open. The sting in my heart won't go for a while if I think of them.

It has been years. I've been doing so well of not thinking of them.

But, grief never goes. It stays with you no matter how hard you try to get over it. It just won't go.

I let my mind drifts to the last memory I had with my parents. It was never a good one and I have no idea why I let my clogged mind wander off to that memory. It's too dark, the path was narrow and it's like letting yourself digging your own ground.

"Daddy! You are home!"

Jonathan Smith walks into the house, barely sober with his briefcase in his hand. He stumbles over the table and make his way to the kitchen.

"Daddy look! I drew a picture of our family!" I said while holding up a paper with my drawing on it.

At that time, I was really excited to show my picture to my dad. He loves it when I drew pictures for him.

"Isabel dear. Stop being so loud. It's annoying." Daddy said.

I frowned at his statement wondering why daddy said things like that. Annoying means that someone doesn't like a person or something like that.

Why daddy doesn't like me?

"I'm sorry, daddy. But, I drew a picture of us." I said and gave him the paper.