014

third person pov

as finn laid with y/n that night, he thought about everything. everything they'd been through, everything that built their relationship, everything that they'd done in their year of being a couple, and their two weeks being friends. did he really need to be away from her to know who he is outside of their relstionship?
"hey, are you awake?"
"yeah."
"is everything okay?"
"yeah. got a lot on my mind."
"like what?"
"us."
"what about us?"
"nothing, its stupid."
"if its regarding us i dont think its stupid. what's going on?"
"i dont know. i've been thinking a lot about our relationship. about who i am with you and without you. and i cant seem to remember the part about who i am without you."
"that's okay."
"promise you wont get mad at what im about to say?"
"i can never promise my reactions."
"what if we took a break? just for a while."
"okay."
"what? just okay?"
"well what do you want from me finn? a big reaction?"
"i mean, i was hoping itd be a little dramatic"
"OH MY GOD FINN NO PLEASE DONT LEAVE ME I CANT LIVE WITHOUT YOU YOU'RE MY FOREVER."
"wow."
"what?"
"that was harsh."
"you wanted dramatic. i gave you dramatic."
"come on, y/n. be serious. are you really not phased by that? tell me what you're thinking."
"i'm thinking that i want you to be happy. that's all i'll ever want, whether its with me or not is up to you. if you need time to figure out what you want, take it. i dont want to be with someone who doesnt truly want me."
"you are my soulmate. the love of my life.. there is no doubt about that. the real reason i came last night and didnt go to the party, is because i knew that my subconscious isnt ready to settle. if my drunken self got the slightest bit of attention, i wouldve cheated on you. and when i settle with you, i dont want that to ever be a possibility."
"if you're going to ask me to wait for you, i wont."
"why not?"
"because to find out if you're ready to settle, you need to be with other people."
"that's fair."
"we fell in love at a very vulnerable time in your life. i know you feel about about it defining you, i know it doesnt. but that's when our relationship officially started. and i think we both need to make sure that we didnt fall in love because of the way that you needed someone, and the way that i needed someone to care for, that i knew wouldnt hurt me. we were both vulnerable. and i have no doubts, at all. not one doubt in the world. never a hesitation that you are going to be the person i marry. but inneed to know who i am before i can do that. i know who i am with you. but i dont know who i am without you." finn breathed shakily. he didnt want to cry, but he knew this is exactly what their relationship needed.
"i understand. thank you for telling me. you'll always be the one i'll marry as well. you're my soulmate. i think i'm going to sleep with sadie and prestyn." y/n started to tear up. she got uo to walk out before kissing his cheek as the tears ran down his face. "and finn?"
"yeah?"
"you're doing the right thing by doing this."
"i really hope so. begause being without you is going to suck."

the two smiled at eachother, their hearts aching and their eyes burning. y/n walked out the door, backwards, so she could savor every last look she could get of him. knowing that she could never meet anyone as close to him.

as y/n walked down the hall, she thought about why he would do this, and the favt that he told her exactly why, made perfect sense. she knew he was right, and she was glad that he realized it. he always wants to take care of her, and she's always there to be taken care of. he was right, her vulnerability built their relationship. maybe not entirely, but thats when they fell in love. did they fall in love because of her need to be taken care of? and his need to feel needed and wanted?

inevitably, she went past the door that led to her friends bedroom. she was in her car and she didnt even notice. she started to drive away from her house, going toward an old diner to get a milkshake and some fries.

when the morning rolled around, y/n found herself sitting in the tree, outside her spot. the spot everything started, the moment she started falling for finn.

finn, however, had already booked his flight out and talked to josh. him amd olivia were going to stay. there was only one problem, he couldnt find the one person he wanted to say goodbye to.

"hey, prestyn? sadie? where's y/n?"
"wouldnt she be sleeping with you? go away." sadie huffed
"she didnt come in here last night?"
"no. why would she?"
"um. we broke up last night."

this sentence and this sentance alone is the only thing he could have made her wake up. she jolted up and walked up to finn in a fit of rage.
"you WHAT?"
"we broke up. well, i broke up with her. its for the best. we talked about it and i had been thinking about it for a while. this whole iris thing is getting to my head."
"what do you mean "iris thing"?"
"for the longest time, iris and millie were all i wanted. y/n is literally the polar opposite of them. is she what i want? or do i want the feeling of being needed? the way i had someone to take care of, someone who needed me. y/n and i were vulnerable when we fell in love. when i fell in love. i need to make sure she's what i want forever. not just what i needed to fill my ego."
"i understand, but you better find her before you leave."
"i will. i'll see you in atlanta tomorrow? i assume you want a day to comfort her."
"yeah. thanks. and you're doing the right thing."
"i better be. this is about to be hell."
"i know, but we'll all be here."
"thanks sadie. i'll see you tomorrow." finn smiled and gave her a hug.

when finn walked out of the house, he went straight to the spot. knowing that she'd be there. he needed to say goodnye, and he needed to get her home.