015

arriving at the spot, finn climbed the tree to find y/n peacefully sleeping.
"hey. hey y/n. wake up."
she started to stir around and her eyes fluttered open. almost bursting out in tears from seeing finn.

"finn? what are you doing here?"
"i had to see you before i left. and i left a few things unsaid last night. i really hope that you arent out of my life, i want to be able to talk to you. you understand me better than anyone. you're my best friend. and - i know that you are exactly what i want, that you're my soulmate. but i cant have this thought of me not wanting you in the back if my mind. i need to do this. you need to do it too. it'll make us better."
"finn, you dont need to explain yourself. i know why we're doing this, i get it. you're my best friend too. i'll never be out of your life. and you'll never be out of mine. i'm always going to be here if you need anything."
"this is only temporary. i will marry you." finn sighed
"don't make promises you can't keep, mahal. you wont know what you want when you find yourself. things change. people change. and thats okay. for now, we should let go of each other."
"what? no!"
"finn. if we hold onto eachother, the love we have will get in the way of the entire point. you want to find out what you want. so do that, but you can't have me in mind when you think about that."
"i can't let you go."
"i dont want you to. but you have to."
"i know. can i still text you?"
"only when necessary. not just when you miss me."
"okay."
"so i guess this is it." y/n sighed, her eyes pooling with tears, once again.
"i guess so. " finn breathed. "go home, the girls and josh are worried about you. "
"be safe. dont do anything stupid."
he nodded and started to climb down the tree. sighing as he started to walk away from her.
he felt like he was forgetting something. something he needed before they said goodbye, for who knows how long.
when the girl got down to the ground she saw him leaning on her car.
"forgetting something?" she questioned. she was hoping he'd be gone so itd be easier to drive away.
he started to walk towards her, getting so close they could feel eachother breathe. he cupped his hands on her jaw, kissing her for the last time. this is what he needed. what they needed. it seemed to last two seconds, when in reality they couldnt bring themselves to let go.
"i love you." he sighed
"i love you too."
once that had finished, finn ran back to the uber, keeping his tears and emotions locked away.
she had watched him go. letting him leave before she did.

when she arrived back home everyone was sitting on the couch with their heads in their hands or some form of that. josh was running around trying to take care of everyone, assuring them that she was okay.

"hey." y/n spoke. "i'm okay, i just think i'm gonna get some sleep. um, i'm gonna sleep in my parents room cause my room smells like finn still, so uh. i'll see you after my nap. i dont want to talk about it right now maybe later." she continued to sluggishly walk up the stairs to her parents old room, locking the door and shutting the curtains. she laid down on the bed and let her tears freely flow, along with keeping her eyes shut and keeping herself buried underneath blankets.

eventually, she pssed out because her eyes were tired of crying.

when finn got back to atlanta, he was a mess. sadie has texted and told everyone what happened, so everyone was sitting outside his hotel room door. he reacted the same as y/n though, walking pst everyone, shutting the door that led to his room.
millie decided to go in first. bad move
"finnie? hey finnie? what happened last night hm? you wanna talk about it?"
"i obviously do not want to talk about it. did you not get that? "
"well we just thought-"
"- OH SHUT UP MILLIE. i dont care what you thought. i just broke up with the love of my life and i havent cried yet. go the fuck away."
"don't talk to her like that. calm down. we'll see you on set." noah said.
"fine." he stated.

as soon as everyone left the room he collapsed onto the bed, tears burning his eyes. he shut them and started to cry. he didnt show up for set that day, or the rest of the week, and the duffers had decided to go on another break, to let finn compose himself enough to work. they understood what he was going through and knew he needed time.