xvi. backfire

[ xvi. backfire ]

"Louis, I resign." The words sent Louis into a direct state of shock. He hadn't expected his plan to backfire. He was so sure that it was full proof, he could've bet on it.

"What?" The words still hadn't registered in Louis' mind; not even when Niall took off his apron and threw it at him.

"I quit. I can not work here any longer." Niall reiterated. He was sick of Louis, sick of being pushed around. He certainly did not get paid enough to have to deal with the brunette nuisance every day.

"Niall, please don't go." Louis begged as the boy walked out the door.

"We should go too Louis." Liam said, grabbing Josh's arm and heading in the path that Niall had just taken.

"No, you guys can't leave too." Louis begged. Even though he wasn't friends with the two, he still saw them as acquaintances, and it hurt him that they would pick Niall over him.

"Sorry Lou." Josh said, taking off his apron and hanging it on the rack with Liam's.

"Josh, please." Louis begged to the last boy going through the door.

What Louis didn't know is that Josh had always had slight feelings for the boy. He turned around and looked into the boys' big, cerulean eyes and sighed. He was such a softie.

"Ok, ok." Josh mutters, letting the door swing shut.

"You- you're gonna stay?" Louis asked, perplexed.

"Well, I can't just leave you here." Josh sighed. He walked over to the counter, grabbing his apron on the way.

"That means a lot to me Josh."

"You mean a lot to me Louis."

☹☻

Niall ran down the street in a sprint so fast that Liam couldn't keep up. Liam knew Niall was going after Harry, but he didn't know where Harry was going. He began to panic once he lost Niall three paces in front of him. He could no longer see him because he had rounded a bend, leaving Liam on a straight stretch of sidewalk, huffing and puffing for air.

"Ni-Niall-W-Wait!" He shouted in between breaths. He picked up his pace, hoping and praying that Niall and Harry were going back to their apartments.

Halfway there, Liam got a text. His mind told him to keep running, but his heart made him stop to make sure that the text wasn't an emergency from Zayn, which ironically, it was.

"Li, can you come now? I can't remember if your supposed to throw up blood or not. xx, Z." Liam read, biting his lip. Zayn's apartment was ten minutes in the other direction, so he had a choice to make.

"Niall, I pray to God you don't do anything stupid." Liam said finally, turning on his heal and running to Zayn's. The decision was definitely hard for him to make. It was either leave Zayn alone or leave Niall with Harry. He just hoped he hadn't made the wrong decision.

☹☻

"Harry! Open the door! Please?" Niall begged, banging rapidly on Harry's locked door. He knew that his life would be nothing without Harry in it, and he was absolutely desperate to find out what had angered his friend.

Harry sat on the other side of the door silent. He wanted to let Niall in, but he couldn't. For all he knew, Niall was insane. Maybe he was nice to the people he wanted to kill.

"Harry! PLEASE!" Niall sobbed, throwing his skinny body against the door. Harry flinched at the loud crash.

"I'm gonna die without you." Niall whispered, not loud enough for Harry to hear.