Day One

The girl with sparkling hazel eyes and long, strawberry blonde curls had a wide smile on her face as she walked through the school halls. Savannah Wilson was always smiling. And today wasn't any different. She walked into her first class of the day, a bright smile still sitting on her lips. It was the first day of her senior year and she couldn't be more excited. She had math first today, one of her favourite subjects.

Yes, math is one her favourite subjects. Don't judge.

Savannah entered the classroom and smiled at her teacher sitting at his desk. "Good morning, Mr. Romero," she greeted him with a smile. He had been Savannah's math teacher Freshman year as well, so she already knew him pretty well. Mr. Romero nodded to Savannah in greeting before looking back down at his work, now with a small smile on his lips. Savannah's happiness was contagious.

Her long strawberry blonde curls fell over her shoulder as Savannah turned to face the rows of seats in the class, finding that almost every seat was already taken by a student. Her smile fell slightly at that. She thought she had gotten there early enough to be able to choose a seat. Shrugging it off, Savannah walked towards the back of the class where she spotted a spare seat. Next to the free seat was the desk closest to the window, where a clearly tall and lanky boy sat with his head resting on his forearms across the table.

Savannah sat in the seat next to him, setting her bag down beside her feet. She bent down and took out her brand new blue notebook and pastel yellow pencil case, getting everything ready for the lesson. Only after she had opened her book and written the date in her favourite blue gel pen, did she realise the boy next to her was now looking at her.

She turned and locked eyes with him. His eyes were a soft, icy grey colour and Savannah couldn't help but admire them. She had a thing for beautifully coloured eyes. Savannah's lips pulled up into a wide smile automatically, a stark contrast to the boy's flat, expressionless features. "Hi," she greeted him softly, "I'm Savannah,"

The boy didn't say anything in return and instead turned to rest his head back on his arms folded on his desk, his dark - almost black - hair spilling over onto the desk. He didn't so much as smile at her.

Savannah's own smile faltered. Did he not like her? But they had only just met. Why didn't he speak? Or smile?

Savannah pushed the thoughts aside, and turned her attention to Mr. Romero when he started the lesson. They got straight into the work, not bothering with introductions. Soon, each student had a worksheet in front of them to complete by the end of the lesson.

Savannah was already hard at work, filling out the worksheet systematically. Occasionally she glanced to her left to see that the boy hadn't so much as picked up a pen. Did he not understand the questions?

Stopping suddenly, she looked up at the boy to find his grey eyes already on hers. Savannah paused for a second, surprised, before speaking in a soft voice, "What did you get for question three?"

The boy blinked once at her before looking pointedly down at his sheet then back up at her. He slowly raised one of his dark eyebrows, lips staying straight, "Does it look like I know the answer?"

Savannah's smile widened considerably. He had spoken! His voice was deep and smooth and rich. She wanted to hear him speak again. "Would you like some help?" She asked him, hoping that he would reply verbally.

The boy's piercing grey eyes trailed over her face for a second before he shook his head slowly, turning to look out the window to his left.

Savannah huffed quietly, disappointed. She tried again. "Can you at least tell me your name?"

The boy slowly turned his head back to her, icy grey eyes locking with hers. His eyes dropped down to her lips that were pulled up into a smile before he met her gaze again. "Nick," he replied quietly, his voice deep and soft.

Savannah smiled widely, "It's very nice to meet you, Nick,"

Nick nodded slowly, dragging his eyes away from her to rest his head back on his forearms. Savanna grinned to herself as she got stuck back into her work. It seemed like it would be quite a task to get this boy to smile. But Savannah would do it. If anyone could, it would be her.

 If anyone could, it would be her