Day Sixteen

"Are you ready for our study session this afternoon, Nicky?" Savannah asked, turning to Nick once Mr. Romero had given them their work for the lesson.

Nick shrugged, "I guess,"

Savannah pouted slightly, leaning a little closer to Nick and resting her elbow on his desk with her head in her hand. "Are you not even a little happy to spend time with me?"

Nick's eyes widened as he stared down at her, "No, no, no! I'm not excited about the math part of it. You on the other hand..." He trailed off, shaking his head slightly as his eyes scanned her face.

She tilted her head to the side slightly, "What about me?"

His lip twitched up into a small smirk, "You, Van... Why wouldn't I want to spend time with you?"

Savannah's eyes widened slightly, "Oh I- really?"

Nick's eyes twinkled with clear happiness despite the fact that he still didn't smile. Unable to stop himself from, he reached out and gently tucked one of her strawberry blonde, shoulder-length curls behind her ear. "Of course, Van. I've already told you that you make me happy,"

She stared up at him, a slight frown forming on her lips. "Then why do you never smile for me, Nicky?"

His face fell slightly, "It's not you. I haven't had a lot to smile about in a long time. I didn't think you had noticed,"

"I noticed the first day I met you. I will get you to smile, Nicky. Even if it's the last thing I ever do," She stated, a smile slipping onto her own lips.

Nick shook his head slightly. Little did she know she already had.

 Little did she know she already had