Day Seventeen

Savannah arrived at class later than usual this morning after accidentally sleeping in, so she only got to say a quick "Good morning Nicky!" before Mr. Romero started talking. He quickly announced that they would be watching a video for the duration of the class, explaining a new topic they were starting. Really, it was just an excuse to let the students have a break after the last topic that many of them struggled with, but he would never tell them that. Soon, all the lights in the class were off and the forty-five minute video was playing. It really had no business being so long, but it wasn't all factual. Mr. Romero even found it quite funny.

A couple minutes into the video, Savannah quietly shuffled her chair closer to Nick's until they were sitting right beside each other. Nick didn't say a word, afraid she might move away again. He was surprised when he felt her take his hand only to realise she was putting something in it. He watched almost in awe as she gently opened his hand and placed a small piece of paper inside before folding his fingers over it. Nick didn't miss the way her hand lingered on his for a second before she pulled her hand away, focusing back on the video.

Nick slowly opened his hand and looked down at the piece of paper. Carefully unfolding it, he took a second to read the contents in the dark of the room.

Hi.

That was all it said. But that one simple word coming from that very specific person was enough to make Nick's heart beat faster. He left the note on his desk, placing the hand that was closest to Savannah on the back of her chair and leaning over to grab her pen from her desk with his other. For a split second as he was leaning over her to grab it, their faces were a mere couple inches apart and their eyes locked. For what felt like an eternity, they stayed like that, but really it was no more than two seconds.

Nick moved back into his seat and leaned over his desk as he wrote his reply to her on the flipside of her note. He now realised why she always used this particular blue pen as it was very easy to write with. He found himself almost smiling as he realised he was using her favourite pen.

He swiftly handed the note back to her, repeating the action she had done to him. He didn't know when he suddenly became so bold, but he confidently picked up her hand and placed the note inside her awaiting palm. He looked up and locked eyes with her, finding joy in the wide smile that stretched across her face.

Savannah carefully opened up the note and grinned when she read what was inside.

Hi.