Day Sixteen Part Three

Nick and Savannah spent hours at the library that afternoon, pouring over her notes and textbooks. It seemed to take a very long time for Nick to understand, but that was mostly because he was too busy staring to actually listen to what she was saying. He was starting to seriously like this girl and he didn't know what to do about it.

"So... it's either three or... negative five?" Nick questioned, still a little unsure.

Savannah grinned, nodding excitedly. "Yes! And in this situation, what would the answer be?" She pointed back to the initial question, staring at him expectantly.

"Um, three. Because it's the height of the building and that can't be a negative number," He glanced up at her hopefully, "Right?"

Savannah's grin widened until she was practically bouncing up and down in her seat. "Yes! You did it Nicky!"

Nick let out a small breath of relief, "Thank God,"

"Sorry kids," The librarian poked her head out from around the corner of one the bookshelves, smiling at them gently, "The library closes in five minutes,"

Savannah's eyes widened but she quickly nodded, smiling at the librarian, "Thank you! Sorry we've been so noisy,"

The librarian shook her head, still smiling, "You're fine, dear. You're the last two in here and I'm almost deaf," She chuckled, walking away and back to her desk.

Savannah let out a breath and turned back to Nick, smiling, "You did really good, Nicky,"

Nick felt his cheeks heat up and he ducked his head slightly to try and hide it. "Thanks, Van," He moved his arm from where it rested on top of the couch behind Savannah and slid out of his seat, standing up. She immediately missed his warmth. She quickly packed up her things, slinging her backpack over her shoulder and pressing her binder to her chest. She stood up and Nick came around the table so that he was standing right in front of her.

"You got everything?" Nick murmured, his gaze running over the area that they had just occupied to check. He really was just trying to stall, not wanting to part from her yet.

Savannah nodded, "I think so,"

The two walked out of the library side-by-side in a comfortable silence. They walked out of the school building and towards the student parking lot.

"Did you drive to school?" Savannah asked him, breaking the quiet that had surrounded them. She looked up at Nick as he shook his head.

"No, I walked." He murmured.

She frowned, "It's getting late. Let me drive you home,"

Nick's eyes widened, "No, that's alright, Van. I'm fine-"

"Don't argue with me, Nicky," Savannah cut him off sternly.

"It's only a five minute walk. I'm fine," He protested.

"That's exactly why it's not a problem. It's not even out of the way for me to drive you and- oh look! We're at my car already," Savannah turned to him pointedly as they came to a stop beside her car, "You might as well just get in,"

Nick's eyes narrowed slightly as he stared at her. Anyone else in her shoes probably would have been intimidated by his stare, but Savannah could see that there was no malice in his gaze. She stood her ground, looking up at him with a soft smile.

Nick eventually sighed, his shoulders dropping, "Fine. You're so damn stubborn,"

Savannah grinned, skipping around to the driver's side of her car. "Yay! Hop in, Nicky,"

They both got in the car, shutting their doors behind them. Savannah started the car, making sure to put on her seat belt. She looked at Nick to make sure he had done his as well before putting the car in reverse and leaving the parking lot.

"So where do you live?" Savannah asked over the soft hum of the music playing from the radio in the background.

"Rose Avenue," Nick replied, leaning his head back against the headrest of the seat and looking out the window.

The short two minutes drive was spent mostly in a comfortable silence. Soon enough, Savannah pulled into the driveway of an average one-story home. She noticed that there were no other cars in the driveway.

She turned to Nick with a smile, "I'll see you tomorrow, Nicky?" Nick nodded, staring at her for a moment longer before unbuckling his seatbelt and reached for the handle on the door. Just as he was about to pull it open, her voice stopped him. "Wait!"

With furrowed eyebrows, he turned his head back to look at her, only to freeze when she leaned over, gently holding his face in her hand and pressing a soft but determined kiss to his cheek.

He stared out the front windscreen in shock for a moment before turning his gaze to her, his cheeks slightly flushed. Savannah's own cheeks were on fire as she looked back at him, but her smile never left her face as she murmured, "Bye, Nicky,"

 Savannah's own cheeks were on fire as she looked back at him, but her smile never left her face as she murmured, "Bye, Nicky,"