Day Nineteen

"Happy birthday, Nicky!" Savannah exclaimed as she fell into her seat next to Nicky on Friday morning. She turned to him with a grin, placing her bag on her lap as she began to unzip it. "I didn't get you an actual gift because I couldn't figure out what you would want, but I did make you this." She grabbed a container from her bag and opened it up, taking the cupcake from inside and placing on Nick's desk. She smiled up at him softly, "Happy birthday."

Nick stared at her with wide, disbelieving eyes. After a beat of silence he murmured, "You remembered?"

Savannah frowned slightly, putting her container away and placing her bag down at her feet. "Of course I did, Nicky."

"Thank you." He whispered, eyes still staring intently into hers, "I didn't expect you to remember, let alone get me anything."

"Don't be silly. I love baking, especially for you. I was going to put black icing on the cupcake because that's your favourite colour, but black food colouring stains really easily, so I did chocolate instead." Savannah stared up at him hopefully, biting down on her bottom lip.

Nick's eyes sparkling grey were still wide with wonder as he stared at Savannah. Slowly, he leaned a little closer to her, lifting a hand up in gesture for her to come closer as well. "C'mere." He murmured softly, gazing into her gentle hazel eyes.

She immediately did as he asked, leaning in closer to him as she felt her cheeks start to heat up. She looked down at her lap, avoiding his gaze. Nick didn't like not being able to see her eyes. He swiftly tucked his finger under her chin and gently tilted her head up until she was forced to lock eyes with him.

"Thank you." Was all that he said.

A wide smile lit up Savannah's face immediately at his words. Without thinking, she leaned forward and pressed a quick kiss to his cheek. She seemed to have perfect timing because as soon as she pulled away, Mr. Romero walked into the room, preventing Nick from saying anything. All he could do was just sit and stare in wonder at this girl who was slowly tearing down the walls he had carefully built around his heart.

 All he could do was just sit and stare in wonder at this girl who was slowly tearing down the walls he had carefully built around his heart