Day Sixteen Part Two

Savannah held her binder to her chest tightly as she practically skipped towards the school library. She had just finished her last class of the day and she was beyond excited to spend more time with Nick. No matter how quiet and reserved he was, she loved spending time with him. Even if he could be a little grumpy sometimes.

Because despite all this, he had never treated her badly. No matter how much she persisted, probably annoying the hell out of him, he never once was mean to her.

Savannah couldn't keep the smile off her face once she rounded one of the many rows of bookshelves and saw Nick's dark figure slumped over a table in the back corner of the library. She hurried over to him, collapsing beside him on the couch he was sat at instead of taking the one across from him. Nick's head shot up at the sudden body sitting right beside him and he looked to his left. His gaze softened when he saw the smiling face of Savannah and he almost, almost gave her a smile of his own. But not quite. He was close.

"Good afternoon, Nicky," Savannah greeted him excitedly, placing her binder on the table in front of them and her backpack at her feet.

Nick sat up, rubbing his eyes, "Hey, Van,"

She grinned, "You ready to get started?"

He only groaned, stretching his arms up and arching his back into the couch as his eyes screwed shut. After stretching out his stiff muscles from sitting down for most of the day, he relaxed, putting his arms back in his lap and opening his icy grey eyes again.

Savannah found herself staring, unable to get over how beautiful this man was. It was absolutely not fair. He had a defined jawline, full lips, long eyelashes, toned muscles and he was tall! God clearly had favourites.

"Where do we start?" Nick murmured, snapping her out of her daze.

"That's up to you, Nicky! What do you struggle with the most?" She asked, staring up at him softly.

Nick shrugged, lifting his arm up so that it ran along the back of the couch behind Savannah. She could feel the heat radiating off him and she found herself wanting to hug him. "I don't know. The stuff on the test we did last Friday was pretty hard,"

Savannah looked down at her now open binder, trying to force the blush away from her cheeks at the mention of last Friday. She had never planned on kissing his cheek. It just happened and she was completely embarrassed now. He probably thought she was so weird!

She let out a breath before nodding, "Okay, that was quadratics. I like quadratics,"

Nick raised an eyebrow at her, amusement flashing in his eyes, "You like quadratics?"

Savannah huffed, a pout forming on her lips, "Don't make fun of me. They're satisfying to do."

"Van," Nick murmured, tilting his down to try and get her attention. But she refused to look at him. She kept her gaze downturned, her arms crossed. Nick's lips twitched and for a second they lifted up into a smile. He felt bad that this was the second time he had smiled because of her and she wasn't going to see it. He could tell how badly she wanted to see him smile.

But he still didn't have a clue why she wanted to see it so badly.

He reached out towards her with his free hand, leaving his other arm resting along the back of the couch behind her. Gently, he grasped her chin, hoping her beautiful hazel eyes would return to him. But she was adamant. Everyone always made fun of her for liking math and she was hoping he wouldn't be one of them.

"Look at me, Van," He whispered, still holding her chin between his thumb and forefinger. He so badly wanted to touch her bottom lip that was still stuck out in a pout. It was right there but he thought that would be overstepping. "Please," He urged, turning his body completely towards her. Slowly, Savannah's eyes moved up until her hazel eyes met his grey ones. He bit down on his lip as his eyes dropped to her lips for a brief moment. "You missed my smile," He whispered apologetically, keeping her chin gently in his grip. He found himself quite liking it when he touched her.

Savannah's eyes widened and she gasped softly, "No! Do it again. Please, I really wanted to see it."

"I can't just smile on command. It won't be real," He murmured, his hand moving from her chin to instead tuck some of her hair behind her ear.

"Oh," She muttered defeatedly, turning back to focus on her notes.

"By the way, I wasn't making fun of you before," Nick whispered, watching her quietly as she flicked through her binder. Even though she acted disinterested, he could tell she was listening. "I was just surprised, Van. But I shouldn't have been. There's no way you can be that good at something and not enjoy it,"

Savannah turned to Nick then, a small smile resting on her lips, "Really?"

Nick nodded, shoving his hand into the pocket of his hoodie to prevent reaching out and touching her again. "Really. It's actually kinda cute."

He watched the adorable blush light up her cheeks and almost smiled once again. Almost.

 Almost