Day Two

Savannah walked into her math class with a skip in her step and a bright smile resting on her lips. She greeted Mr. Romero politely before heading to the back of the class. Even though she had gotten there especially early, so she could easily choose a new seat, she still chose to sit next to Nick, in the very back corner.

He was already sitting at his desk in the corner, leaning back in his seat today instead of flopped over the desk. Savannah took a second to look over his outfit. He was wearing black jeans with a black shirt and a black leather jacket over the top. Even his shoes were black.

His outfit was a stark contrast to the clothes Savannah was wearing. Today, she was wearing a white fitted blouse-style cropped shirt with some light wash high waisted jeans.

 Today, she was wearing a white fitted blouse-style cropped shirt with some light wash high waisted jeans

Savannah sat in the seat beside his, placing her bag at her feet before turning to face Nick. He was already looking at her. She smiled brightly, "Good morning, Nick !"

Nick grunted softly in reply, shifting his gaze back towards the window that he'd been staring out of previously.

Savannah raised an eyebrow at him playfully, "Do I not get a 'good morning' in return?"

His head rolled back towards her, icy grey eyes staring into her hazel ones. His eyes dropped down to her smile before he met her eyes again. "Morning, Savannah," He murmured, lingering his gaze on her a second longer before turning away again.

Savannah's lips pulled up into a grin, "You remembered my name,"

He nodded slowly, turning back to her with furrowed eyebrows. He looked confused. "Yeah?"

Savannah's gaze was soft as she looked at him, "I wasn't sure that you would,"

Before Nick could reply to Savannah, Mr. Romero started the lesson. "Turn to page forty-two in your textbooks and complete the questions on that page. Raise your hand if you have any questions,"

Savannah opened up her textbook and her notebook, writing the date at the top of her page before beginning the questions. She had only gotten to the second question when she turned to Nick. "Is Nick short for Nicholas?" She asked, her head tilted to the side as she gazed at him.

Nick's eyes met hers and he furrowed his brows, "Yes,"

She grinned, "I love that name," She turned back to her page, reading over the question. Immediately, she forgot what she had read and so she read it again. When, once again, she didn't retain any knowledge, she turned back to Nick. He was already looking at her. "Can I call you Nicky?"

He studied her for a moment before nodding slowly. Then he stopped and tipped his head in her direction, "Van,"

She furrowed her brows, not understanding before her eyes widened and she smiled. "Oh! Like Sa-Van-nah! I like it. No one's ever called me that before. Usually people call me Sav. Or, my little brother calls me Nah-Nah," She paused, staring at him pointedly, "You are not allowed to call me Nah-Nah,"

Savannah watched as amusement flashed in Nick's grey eyes. But still, his lips didn't move. She didn't get a laugh, or even a smile. Still, she called it progress.