Day Eighteen

"Good morning, Nicky!" Savannah grinned up at Nick as he fell into his seat beside her. She turned her body towards his fully and shuffled her chair closer to his.

"Hey, Van." Nick moved closer to her as well, swivelling in his chair so that the toes of their shoes were almost touching. His eyes shone, showing his happiness but still he did not smile. Savannah noticed that he was fidgeting with his hands in his lap.

"How did you sleep last night?" She asked him softly, remembering his tiredness from a couple weeks ago. She hoped he had been getting better sleep since then.

Nick shrugged half-heartedly. "Alright."

Savannah frowned slightly, "What's got you so jittery?"

Nick paused, eyes widening slightly before he shrugged, shaking his head. "Nothing. I'm fine."

Savannah leaned closer to him so that their faces were inches apart. "You're lying to me."

Nick's eyes widened. He didn't know how to reply to that, but fortunately for him Mr. Romero walked into the room, loudly announcing the start of the lesson. Savannah backed off, still with narrowed eyes as she moved her chair back to her desk. Nick let out a breath, slumping back in his chair as Mr. Romero started to drone on.

Nick felt that the lesson ended much too quickly. He wanted to avoid more of Savannah's questioning, so he quickly grabbed his bag and started for the door before she had even finished putting away her things.

He started walking down the hall, thinking he really had escaped. But he was suddenly pulled to a stop by a surprisingly strong grip on the back of his shirt. He quickly whipped around and when he came face-to-face with a glaring Savannah, his eyes widened and he quickly snapped his mouth shut.

She started pushing Nick backwards and he let her until he felt the wall of lockers against his back. Savannah didn't stop until she was standing right in front of him, the tips of their shoes touching. She stared up at him for a moment, her gaze harsh and one of her hands pushed against his chest to keep him in place.

Finally, she relaxed, dropping her head down to look at their feet. Her hand on his chest relaxed slightly and slipped down a few inches so that it was resting on his stomach. Nick would never admit it aloud, but he could have sworn he felt butterflies.

"You don't have to tell me, Nicky. Just don't lie to me." Savannah murmured quietly, not meeting his gaze.

Nick gathered up whatever strength he had left and raised his hand to tilt her chin up. Her wide hazel eyes stared up into his icy grey ones. They stood there staring at each other for a few seconds before he whispered, "I'm sorry."

A small smile lifted Savannah's lips once again. Nick felt at peace when he saw that. Without saying a word, she raised up onto her toes and pressed a kiss to his cheek. She lingered there for a moment as Nick stared blankly at the rushing students around them. Then, almost as if it had never happened, Savannah was gone, strawberry blonde curls flying around her shoulders as she sauntered away from him.

And Nick realised then as he stood there like an idiot, that she would probably never know that the reason he was so jittery was because he was trying to work up the nerve to ask Savannah on a date.