Chapter 5

Garmadon shuts the door, "Today I will be introducing you to your element and the basics. Don't worry if you don't get it straight away, nobody does. Take a seat."

Jay sat down on one of the sofas, and Garmadon took the seat opposite, and handed him a cup, "Tea of Enlightenment. This will help loosen you up a bit."

Taking the cup, Jay took a sip of the hot liquid, "Ooh, it's good. I feel funny."

The elder man smiled, "That means it's working. Let's see...you are Lightning, aren't you?"

"Y-Yes, sir."

"Hmm, good. We'll start off small, and work our way up. Sound good?"

"Sounds perfect."

"Alright. Lightning. The power of Zeus himself. Definite ancestral ties there." He murmured. Jay glanced up, "Does...everyone have an ancestral tie to a Greek God?"

"Indeed. I'll give you some examples: Kai, the Master of Fire, his is Hephaestus, Cole, Master of Earth, his is Gaea, the Mother Earth. Zane's is Khione, Morro, Master of Wind. His is Aeolus, Nya, Master of Water; Poseidon. You see?"

"Yeah.."

"Now, you'll learn all about your ancestors in Elemental History, but for now, let's summon up a small spark. Focus all your energy, all your thoughts on something that makes you happy. Control your breathing. Centre yourself."

Jay closed his eyelids, and pictured himself at Mega Monster Amusement Park, eating cotton candy, riding up the roller coasters. A smile spread across his face. Garmadon nodded approvingly. "Now, something that makes you...angry."

He thought about his mother; how she'd hidden his powers from him for ages. The times when his father had to miss everything because of his job. His eyebrows furrowed and his smile disappeared. Garmadon nodded, "Now think of something that makes your heart flutter."

Concentrating again, Jay envisioned his very first day at the boarding school.

"Shoot, sorry!"

"It's fine."

"You must be Jay. I'm Nya."

"You like blue?"

"It's my favourite colour!"

Jay slowly opened his eyes, which were now glowing, only to return back to normal within seconds. Garmadon smiled, "Brilliant start; most students weren't able to grasp at that ability on their first try, but you're a natural. Keep it up."

Jay nodded. "Thank you." Garmadon cleared his throat, "Let's see if we can...conjure up a small spark." Taking Jay's right palm, he placed his own wrinkled hand atop, and let it go, revealing a small bolt of lightning, "Keep that bolt alive. We'll time it."

Scrunching his eyebrows up, Jay glared at the bolt, his palm shaking lightly as he focused. Suddenly it flickered and disappeared. Garmadon clapped his hands, "10 seconds. Great start. I'm impressed. At the rate you're going at, I have no doubt you will struggle to catch up and fill in what you missed out. Get some of your newfound friends to help tutor you. Don't ever hesitate to drop by, and one more thing."

Jay looked up, "Yeah?"

"Don't mention yours or anyone's powers to the outside world. To everyone else we're just a normal, prestigious boarding school. A lot goes on between these walls. And whatever happens between these walls, stays within. Understood?"

"Y-Yes, sir,"

"Dismissed. I'll see you around."

Bowing awkwardly, he dashed out through the doors and up the stairs. Shutting the door, he slid down to the floor and massaged his forehead. That was...eventful. He checked his phone.

Mom: 1:27PM
Hey, honey! How's the school? How are you settling in? Any new friends? Listen, I'm sorry we never got to say goodbye, but I promise I'll make it up to you. Love you lots! 

Tossing his phone on the bed, he opened the curtains and peered out through the windows, unlocking and pushing the doors out, resting his elbows on the ledge. He could see Zane and Pixal walking back from the forest, hand in hand, giggling together about who-knows-what.

"Hey, Jay!"

"GAH!" He looked up to the tree level, where he could see Nya beaming at him, her bow and quiver slung across her back as she perched on one of the tree branches, her legs swinging freely, "Don't do that! You scared me!"

She giggled, before standing up, and stepping towards him, before jumping from the branch onto the ledge. Jay moved out of the way so she could climb inside. "What are you, a monkey?" He asked, a grin forming on his face.

"Hmm...part human, part monkey...sounds about right!" They crack up laughing, and Nya sets her gear down, "How was the one-on-one?"

"Actually not that bad. I held a bolt of lightning in my hands for 10 seconds! It doesn't sound like much but...you know!"

"Soon you'll be able to set blackouts in the city as you please." She mumbled, grinning as she conjured up a big sphere of water. She headed to the open window, and shot the water at a familiar figure trekking through the fallen leaves. He looked up and growled, "NOT FUNNY, SIS!"

Someone from behind Kai burst out laughing. That someone was Skylor, as she raced forward, with Morro behind. The two of them conjured up some wind, and aimed it for Kai, who now was soaking wet, covered in leaves.

Jay laughed, and Kai flushed as red as his coat.

The_lightning_ninja I never realised how similar this was to your book, so sorry!