Chapter 16

ITALICS: Flashbacks. There will be several flashbacks in this chapter.

3rd Person POV

Ed and Edna's Scrap 'n' Junk was quiet and cluttered, a camper van in the midst of it all. Jay could see the couple standing by the front door, watching them pull up.

"Seliel! How are you, dear?"

Seliel laughed, "I'm good, Mom. Jay wanted to speak to you both, actually." Ed smiled warmly, "Well then, say no more, come on in! Edna's made some of her special cake, and there's enough tea to go around!"

They sat on the couches, looking at each other awkwardly as Edna headed over with a tray filled with food. She set it down, and took a seat beside her husband, "Now, what's on your mind, sweetheart?"

Ali: What is it with adults calling kids 'sweetheart'? On the other hand my mother's like, "Ey, Muttal! Inga va!"

Jay reached into his pocket and pulled out the photos and sonograms, "Well...I was wondering...do you know my parents? I'm Jay Gordon-Walker-"

Edna took in a sharp intake of breath, "Ed!" she gasped, "It's him!"

"W-What? What are you saying?" Seliel asked, "Who's 'him'?"

"Jay, I know your mother all too well." Edna admitted truthfully, getting up and heading to one of the shelves, later returning with a large book. Moving the untouched tray of refreshments out of the way, she opened the book onto the first page, revealing a family photo, with Ed, Edna and a small baby girl, the exact one in the photo in Jay's hands, "How did you know my mother?"

Ed bit his lip anxiously, "Libber and Edna are cousins. Honey, I think it's time we told them the truth. It's clear now that Libber is never going to do it, might as well be us."

Edna nodded, "When Libber found out she was pregnant, her parents didn't approve. They told her to either get rid of the baby, or to leave. Cliff promised her that they'd be able to raise the child so Libber cut herself off from her parents."

"Libber! What in the name of FSM is this?!" Martin Walker roared, holding a small blue stick. Libber stared at her father, fear in her eyes. "A pregnancy test."

Savannah Walker glared at her daughter, "This is the doing of that wretched man you're seeing, isn't it? I thought we told you to break it off with him!"

"No!" Libber cried, "I love Cliff! He's always been there for me-"

"Has he, now?" Savannah challenged.

"He's way more supportive of me than you two have ever been!"

Martin jumped up, "I won't stand for this nonsense! You are to get rid of that...that thing inside you, do you hear me?"

Libber's eyes filled with tears. This is what she's always wanted; a child, a future with the man she loved, and now that may not happen because of her parents.

"No."

Martin glowered, "What did you just say to me?"

"I said no, Father! I want this baby, a-and if you're not going to be supportive...I don't want you in my life!"

Savannah placed a hand on her daughter's shoulder, "Libber, darling, we do want you to have a future. And a wonderful one at that. Just not with Cliff, or that baby."

"I'm not leaving Cliff!"

"You have a choice, Libber. You can either get an abortion, or you are to pack your bags and leave immediately."