Initial Realization

Sakura had never thought of herself as anything but a true ninja and as she stood in front of her mirror putting the the finishing touches to her hair, it was obvious nothing could be farther from the truth. Interestingly enough today was her first day as a fully-fledged Genin however her objectives weren't as ambitious as one would assume.

Sasuke Uchiha was the objective.

Sakura knew it would be a challenge and she had many rivals to compete with, but she was a believer in happy endings. In her own mind there was no contest between herself and the other girls (which was almost every girl in the academy) because her intentions were pure. Sakura did make it through the academy partly due to her impressive chakra control and ability to retain information. But when it came to jutsu and combat she had barely been able to keep up.

Instead of extra training to enhance her physical abilities, Sakura preferred to take care of her long cherry pink hair because it was rumored that Sasuke liked girls with long hair. It was almost stupid to think she'd do anything to her personality and appearance just so a boy she'd never said a word to would respond to her continuing efforts to win his affection. Sakura quickly banished that thought and with a final wink and some urging from her mother she left the house.

"See you later" A voice called out from one of the houses along the main road.

Sakura looked up to see her number one rival Ino Yamanka glaring at her. Sakura gritted her teeth Ino had always been the stronger out of the two of them during their childhood, but Sakura was determined not to live in Ino's shadow anymore.

"Good morning Sakura" Ino said with blatant smugness in her voice.

"Good morning Ino" Sakura replied in the same tone.

Sakura continued on her way walking straight past Ino who fell into step with her.

"So they actually let you graduate, what a surprise!" Ino said trying her best to rile Sakura up.

But Sakura tried to take the high road and knew Sasuke would prefer a more mature girl who didn't get caught up in petty arguments.

"Those classes are ancient history, we're both ninja now and we're both equal. I won't lose to you anymore" Sakura vowed and began to increase her speed which Ino matched easily.

The pink haired teen tried to get ahead once more but Ino caught up to her, Sakura tried again and walked faster but Ino was right next to her equally as determined.

"Screw this!" Inner Sakura yelled and Sakura started running with Ino right by her side going just as fast. The two girls took off at remarkable speed and left a cloud of dust in their wake.

A stampede of wild horses couldn't match the noise Sakura and Ino were making as they thundered down the academy hall way. Sakura felt Ino shoving into her shoulder and she shoved back just as hard. The class room door was in their sights and both girls crashed though, it pushing and shoving each other.

"I'm first!" They both yelled with their arms stretched out to prevent the other from going any further, then bending slightly and panting heavily.

"I win again Sakura!" Ino exclaimed whist glaring at the pink haired girl.

"Give it up! I had to look back to see you my toe was at least a tenth of an inch ahead!" Sakura replied before standing up and surveying the room.

Sakura was looking for one particular person when she saw Naruto his face a dark red and wearing a ninja headband.

How the hell did he become a ninja? she thought and continued to look at Naruto before recognizing the familiar black spiky hairstyle next to him.

"Sasuke! I have to get a seat next to him before Ino and the other girls try to!" Sakura began to run towards Sasuke and stopped in front of his desk.