Chunin Exams Part 9

A droplet of sweat fell from Sakura's brow and dripped down her cheek, she wiped it away quickly. Her eyes remained fixed on the three Sound ninja in front of her.

Well, who is it going to be? Which one of them is coming first? Sakura thought, her mind going into overdrive.

There wasn't time to prolong this fight, with Sasuke and Naruto's conditions unpredictable Sakura needed to finish it and fast. It was also practical to consider her safety and wellbeing. As the only conscious member of Team 7 left she was all Sasuke and Naruto could depend on. If she were to sustain an injury or even die during this fight, both her teammates would be completely unprotected and exposed.

She was glad now for the trap she had set earlier, as soon as she had managed to lay Sasuke and Naruto under the cover of the large tree roots she had set them. Sakura unconsciously bit her lip; the Sound ninja were close to tripping it. It was not a good trap; she hadn't had much experience in setting high level traps.

The goal was for it to work as a diversionary tactic and not as an effective means of attack. That would all come down to her; the fighting would clearly be close combat. But if all three came at once, what chance did she stand alone?

They'll have no hesitation in pushing me past to get to Sasuke and Naruto. I can't let them!

"I guess I'll take you down first then" Zaku declared, jumping down from the rock he was perched on.

"Right, he's first then. If they come one by one we can hold them off. But how long will that last?" Inner wondered solemnly.

"Wait Zaku. There is something suspicious about this! Ah, no wonder she threw the kunai at our squirrel. This patch of earth, it's been dug up and this type of grass does not grow in this part of the forest!" Dosu said, shuffling forward to examine the grass.

"If you're going to set a trap, you shouldn't make it so obvious. You're a joke! Now we kill you and the boy!" Zaku declared.

The Sound Ninja sprung forward, Sakura smirked. It was time. Cutting a piece of ninja wire attached to a kunai unseen by anyone but herself, a huge log swung out from the trees above.

"A trap set from above? Nice try little girl!" Dosu yelled and broke through the log. All three were now headed straight for her.

The female sound ninja was the first to go; a swift kick from Sakura had her grabbing at her stomach in pain. Extending her chakra infused hand, Zaku took the full force of Sakura's strong punch to the face. Spinning around, she then prevented Dosu from going anywhere near Sasuke with a sharp high kick to his jaw.

Although clearly suffering to a degree from Sakura's defences, all three ninja landed effortlessly on their feet.

"So, she's not altogether useless then. Good, the ones who have a bit of fight in them are the most fun to crush" Zaku smirked, wiping his bloody lip.

Sakura cracked her knuckles in response. He was getting on her nerves, they all were. She immediately stiffened; Sasuke had let out a low groan. Sakura swore she could feel the heat from his fever, he was getting worse. Her chakra had no effect on lowering it and she doubted the herbal remedy would fare much better. She needed to get back to him.

"Now, now Zaku let's not be too hasty. This little girl clearly does not see the full state of her situation. It is only her standing between us and Sasuke. She cannot hold off all three of us. It is time for you to surrender, three against one and it's not in your favour" Dosu remarked.

"Three against one? I think not! Now it is two against three!" A voice called out across the clearing and without warning a familiar green jumpsuit had blocked Sakura's line of vision.