Team 7 vs Zabuza: Part 4

Naruto stared wide eyed at the scene before him. Haku, whom he had promised to kill, had made the ultimate sacrifice. Like the tool for Zabuza he had professed to be Haku was able to make himself useful, a shield from the attack that would have surely ended the rouge ninja's life.

Kakashi Hatake could only watch in horror as the boy attempted to remove the hand from his chest, the last of the Lightning Blade jutsu petering out.

"So my future's all used up huh Kakashi?" Zabuza asked smugly, his eyes unwavering from the silver haired ninja.

His eyes did not even flicker downwards to Haku who was taking in fast raspy breaths.

"You're wrong again Kakashi" he said with a sadistic chuckle as blood began pouring profusely from Haku's chest wound.

"I don't understand… what the hell is going on here?!" Naruto asked horrified.

"Isn't that the boy in the mask?" Tazuna asked but neither Sasuke nor Sakura were listening to him, they couldn't tear their eyes away from the gruesome scene before them.

"The boy threw himself in front of my attack; he saved your worthless life at the cost of his own!" Kakashi said bitterly.

Sakura stared, transfixed, to give one's life so willingly for a person like Zabuza. Her mind couldn't process such a sacrifice for someone so unworthy.

Sasuke appeared to be thinking similar thoughts as he looked upon the hidden mist ninja with disgust and hatred. Suddenly Zabuza gave an almighty yell and reached for the sword on his back.

He'd hack right through the boy to take me down?Kakashi thought in horror as the rouge ninja draw his sword.

"I knew I'd found a treasure when I found you boy!" Zabuza yelled, referring to Haku "You've not only given me my life but Kakashi's as well!"

The silver haired Jounin struggled in vain as he tried to free his hand from Haku's chest, meanwhile the others could only watch as Zabuza leapt into the air to deliver his final blow.

Seeing the enemy ninja charging straight for him, Kakashi thought quickly and took hold of the boy before vanishing in thin air, thus avoiding the sword's blow. Twisting and turning in the air, Kakashi landed gracefully away from Zabuza with Haku in his arms.

"Not bad for having a corpse in your arms huh?" Zabuza said, his sick sense of humour prevailing.

"You'll pay for that!" Naruto yelled fuming but the silver haired Jounin quickly dismissed him.

"No. Stay out of this Naruto" he said as he laid Haku gently on the ground.

He had died with his eyes wide open in fear, after staring at him intently Kakashi moved his hand and closed the young boy's eyes. "This is my battle, Zabuza is mine!" The Jounin said angrily.

Sakura glanced at Sasuke out of the corner of her eye; he had been able to move after sensei had ordered to stay with Sasuke and the bridge builder. He was now standing next to her; unconsciously Sakura did a quick check of his vitals. He had regained some chakra but it was minimal. Her own levels were just as low. They had not spoken since she had tried to leave the bridge.

My job is to protect the bridge builder not to worry about my problems with Sasuke, Sakura thought, although in the pit of her stomach she was glad Kakashi was taking on Zabuza.

The pink haired girl knew that neither she nor Sasuke had much strength left to fight off anymore ninja, as much as Sasuke would never admit it.

"Arrogant prick" Inner Sakura declared.