Chunin Exams Part 1

"I never thought I'd miss my house so much" Sakura thought as she rifled through her mission pack, searching for her keys.

After much digging around Sakura reached for the doorknob but found the door already unlocked, pushing it open she took a tentative step into the house. It wasn't like her mother, or father to leave the house unlocked and unattended. They were ex elite ninja after all. Drawing her kunai from its holster she took a few more steps.

"Okaasan? Otousan?" Sakura called out quietly gripping her kunai tightly.

"In here Sakura" a voice uttered from the living room.

Recognising her mother's voice, Sakura loosened the grip on her weapon, but it remained by her side as she walked cautiously through to the living room. Her mother sat on one of the couches opposite two ANBU officers, after being waved over Sakura took a seat beside her mother.

"This is my daughter Sakura, Sakura these gentlemen are part of the ANBU unit" Keiko said, gesturing towards the two men whose faces were concealed with animal masks.

Sakura gave a small nod and swallowed hard, there was only one reason the ANBU could be here.

"Has something happened to my father?" the teen stammered, looking anxiously at her mother.

"Takao Haruno and his team were due to arrive back at 4pm, two days ago" one of the officers with a cat mask said.

"We were instructed to notify family and friends that they had not returned. At this stage nothing is official but if they are still not back in three days we have no choice but to classify them as missing ninja" the other officer finished.

"W-what? Surely something can be done? A search party, something? Please, my father is older now! He is not as strong as he used to be! We have to help him!" Sakura cried

"Sakura honey, don't get so upset. It is perfectly normal for a team to take longer than expected on a mission. Especially when the ranking is so high" Keiko reassured, giving her daughter a hug.

"You must be tired after your mission, go upstairs and unpack. I will make us something to eat and you can tell me all about it!" Keiko smiled.

Sakura nodded at her mother and the two ANBU officers before proceeding upstairs to unpack. As soon as her daughter was out of earshot, Keiko's face turned grave.

"I'm sorry, but I must not allow my daughter to become distraught over this" Mrs Haruno said quietly.

"We understand, however the dangerous nature of the mission and the fact that your husband is retired means that the outcome looks grim should he not return home in three days. We are sorry to have given you such news" the cat mask officer said before both men disappeared.

Keiko sank onto the couch with her head in her hands. "Takao, please come home soon. I cannot do this alone" she thought to herself as she tried to blink back the tears threatening to fall.

"Okaasan! I can't find anymore clothing hangers!" Sakura yelled from upstairs. Keiko quickly stood up and forced a smile before climbing the staircase to her daughter.

"I will try to shield you from this Sakura, I promise"

Sakura was up bright and early the next morning… although not by choice. Kakashi had instructed they start their next mission as soon as possible. Team 7 was told to meet at the bridge by seven, Sakura had set her alarm for six but by the time she finally woke up it was six thirty

Frantically she threw on her ninja clothes and rushed around the room looking for her kunai knife and forehead protector. Running full speed into the kitchen she quickly poured cereal and began shovelling it into her mouth.