The New Hokage and a Birthday Surprise

When the boat pulled into dock at a port outside the Leaf Village Sakura began to feel apprehensive. The journey back to the village was a short one but Kakashi still seemed displeased with their actions during the coronation so there was minimal conversation. Kakashi departed as soon as they entered the village gates to report the success of their mission.

"You have until this evening to report all that has happened to Lady Tsunade before I tell her myself Sakura. I would like all of you to seriously consider your actions at the official lunch and think about how you could have handled yourselves and your emotions a lot better"

After the familiar cloud of white smoke dispersed Team 7 trudged towards the centre of Konoha. "I don't get what his problem is! We were acting as a team and sticking up for one of our own!" Naruto demanded kicking a stone hard.

"Hn why are you complaining dobe I'm the one that punched him" Sasuke said.

"Shut up teme I would have hit him too but you just happened to be closer!" Naruto retorted.

"Enough both of you stop it please. It was my fault I acted to rashly and let my emotions get the better of me. Kakashi-sensei is disappointed in us because we failed to see the diplomacy issues and I thought my own were more important" Sakura interrupted feeling annoyed with herself.

"Sakura-chan you had a right to be angry, that pompous lord refused to help your mother find your father!" Naruto declared.

"Not at the expense of the mission Naruto. It's a ninja's job to keep their personal life out of things and I messed up. I'll see you two later on I need to go home and clean up before visiting the Hokage" Sakura replied quietly and her two teammates exchanged looks.

"Hn Sakura" Sasuke began but Sakura shook her head promptly, "It's fine Sasuke I just need to be by myself for a while before I see Lady Tsunade and explain"

"Poor Sakura-chan and her family" Naruto said to Sasuke as they watched their teammate leave. Suddenly an idea popped into the blond boy's head which made him grin like a fox and turn to Sasuke expectantly.

"Go away dobe" Sasuke said monotone and turned on his heel towards the remains of the Uchiha estate.

"But teme you haven't even heard my great idea to cheer Sakura-chan up!" Naruto whined and trailed after Sasuke.

"Whatever it is you can do it on your own"

"But it would mean a lot more to Sakura if you were involved in it!" Naruto exclaimed happily and Sasuke glared at him.

"How many times do you want to hear the word no?"

"But teme it would totally earn you some bonus points and let's face it you need all the help you can get! I've seen the way Sakura-chan looks at you but I think you'd move further if you actually showed you cared about her or at least that's what happens in those dramas!" Naruto babbled and Sasuke stopped walking.

"What do you mean the way she looks at me?"

Naruto smiled widely and raised his eyebrows at the Uchiha boy before motioning for him to follow.

It felt as though someone had sucked all the life out of Sakura as she walked in a zombie like trance around her childhood home unpacking from the mission, taking what she thought would be a relaxing shower, changing and then leaving the house to walk the few minutes to the Hokage Tower.

It had seemed Tsunade had taken some of the more 'incompetent' nurses from the hospital and put them to work for her in administration and Sakura waved and smiled to the ex-nurses she knew. Knowing she had come to see Tsunade, no one batted an eyelash when Sakura walked past the reception desk and began climbing the stairs of the tower to the Hokage's office.