Chunin Exams Part 7

"Clearly we can't just trust appearances" Sakura said quietly and her teammates nodded.

Team 7 were huddled together on the forest floor after Naruto's impersonator had fled, all were a little shaken but clearly they needed to figure out some sort of plan.

"We need a way to be able to identify each other as who we say we are, and spot any impostors" Sasuke added.

"Okay, so how do we do that?" Naruto asked.

All three ninja fell silent for a minute, trying to come up with something. An idea quickly popped into Sakura's head.

"How about a password or secret code? Something only the three of us know so there's no question of whose an impostor or not" Sakura offered.

"Hn. I like it, and we don't trust anyone who doesn't know it. No exceptions" Sasuke agreed.

"Yeah a password, too easy! How about Kakashi-sensei!?" Naruto asked.

"No, it's too easy. You can bet other candidates have probably done their research on us and who our sensei is. Kakashi isn't exactly unknown. Plus Kabuto can't be the only one with information on all the wannabe Chunin" Sakura stated.

"A question and answer code then, similar to the ones we were taught in the academy" Sasuke declared. Sakura and Naruto nodded.

"Well listen up because I don't want to have to say this more than once. The question is: When does an ninja strike? And the response: A ninja waits until the time is right, when the enemy sleeps and drops his guard, his weapons lying forgotten in the night. That is when a ninja strikes" Sasuke spoke lowly and clearly.

"Right, got it" Sakura said, the code locked away in her memory. Naruto on the other hand looked completely perplexed but Sasuke didn't seem too troubled by it.

"Can't we get one a little shorter Teme?" Naruto whined.

"No Naruto, that's it. Now I'll take the scroll" Sasuke decided and Team 7 got to their feet.

"Hey Sasuke, hold on – ugh!" Naruto groaned as an unseen object from deep within the forest flew out and sliced his other cheek.

Before anyone could even reach for their shuriken holsters, a huge vortex of wind rushed out of the same part of the forest. All three genin raised their arms to their faces to block the onslaught.

"What is it now!?" Sasuke yelled above the wind but he was met with no response.

The vortex ended as quickly as it had begun, a huge chasm was left on the forest floor. Sakura, like the rest of Team 7, had hidden herself and observed the channel of earth. It stretched deep into the forest where the vortex had begun, past where Team 7 had their meeting and further into the opposite direction.

I wonder if anyone heard our password, Sakura thought as she held her kunai tighter.

Hidden behind a tree, Sakura quickly surveyed her surroundings before stepping out. She needed to regroup with Sasuke and Naruto and fast. Being alone in the forest was not an option, besides the whole team had to make it to the tower.

She had not noticed it at first, but the new ninja outfit Tsunade-sama had picked out for her had many secret pockets and compartments. In both the shirt and pants. In case of anyone watching, Sakura bent down nonchalantly to adjust the laces of her combat boots. In doing so she brushed past one of the compartments sewn into her pants.

Feel the small lump of Team 7's Heaven Scroll, Sakura let out an inaudible sigh before straightening up again. Thanks to Tsunade, anything concealed within her outfit was invisible to any opponent. Taking a few tentative steps towards a clump of bushes, Sakura almost had a heart attack when Sasuke jumped out at her.