Preliminaries Part 2

Sakura and Ino squared off on the arena floor, Hayate stood between them ready to commence the fight. In spite of herself Sakura couldn't help feeling slightly nervous. Although she had been training with Tsunade and Team 7 it was obvious that Ino had been training as well. Witnessing the abilities of her teammates in the battle against the Sound Ninja, Sakura wondered what Ino would be showcasing.

The only ability Sakura had seen from her rival was her Mind Transfer Jutsu that Inner had prevented from taking over. But Inner hadn't made much of an appearance since the preliminaries had begun, who was to say that she would be able to prevent the jutsu from taking over her mind.

Ino was the stronger of the two of us in the academy. I surpassed her in the intellectual exams but she excelled further than I did in combat, Sakura thought.

"I didn't think I'd be fighting you Sakura, at least not this soon. But I'm warning you I won't go easy on you" Ino stated. Sakura said nothing in response.

"Man, of all the people in the world for Ino to go up against why did it have to be Sakura?" Shikamaru asked out loud, recalling the kunoichi's fight before the second exam.

"GO SAKURA! YOU CAN DO IT! DON'T LOSE!" Naruto called from the balcony above. Sakura nodded and pulled on the black gloves Tsunade had given her.

"Well, whenever you're ready, you can start" Hayate said and moved back.

Immediately Sakura and Ino charged towards each other, deciding she'd best play it safe to begin with Sakura aimed a kick at Ino's head. Ino quickly ducked and avoided the attack before responding in kind with a punch. Sakura saw it coming a mile away and raised her forearm to block it. She then tried a basic leg sweep which Ino jumped over with ease.

Ino then threw three kunai, Sakura caught one as it traveled through the air and deflected the other two with ease. It was obvious to both female ninja that the other was holding back, partly because of their strong past and partly because of their exhaustion from the second exams.

I won't bring out my new skills until Ino decides to stop pitying me and fight me properly! Sakura thought and narrowed her eyes.

She's holding back! Dammit Sakura, stop acting like you're better than me! Ino glared at her long-time rival.

Both girls ran at each other but neither changed up their attacks and the hand to hand martial arts combat continued. Asuma and Kakashi watched both of their students silently. Naruto watched Sakura hopefully, his teammate was doing well! He knew Sakura could win against Ino no trouble.

"Is that it? Is that as good as kunoichi can get in hand to hand combat?" Neji asked no one in particular.

"What did you say!?" Naruto asked angrily ready to step in and defend his teammate.

"Seriously Neji? It's obvious they're going easy on each other. Don't you remember? They were really good friends once" Tenten spoke up.

Ino and Sakura? I can't really remember them being friends they were always fighting over the Teme, Naruto recalled.

The close hand combat became a lot faster and harder, Sakura was successfully blocking all of the moves Ino threw at her but she could feel her pace slowing. The temptation to use a chakra punch was strong but Sakura wanted it to be a fair fight with both herself and Ino giving it their all. Ino, seeing Sakura's momentary lapse in concentration threw a punch directly to her stomach.

Immediately the pink haired kunoichi recoiled and bent over a little. Why hadn't she been paying attention? The hit was basic but it had enough force to wind her. Ino cocked her fist and went to deliver another hard punch but she stopped.