Climbing Trees

Truthfully Sakura was winging it.

She had only decided to be a medical ninja all of three days ago and had only be training for less than two, so attempting to figure out what to do about Kakashi's eyes whilst under the ever present watch of Sasuke was proving to be stressful.

There had been some cartilage damage which had accumulated overtime, some of it she had healed but some required more advanced medical attention. Focusing carefully on her book, the only lifeline given to her by Tsunade, Sakura considered her next move. Fortunately for her Kakashi began to stir.

"So you're finally awake sensei" Sakura said alerting Sasuke and Naruto to Kakashi's consciousness.

Sitting up in his make shift floor bed Kakashi took in his surroundings. Sakura looked exhausted and was situated closest to him, Sasuke and Naruto had adopted watchful positions from the foot of the bed. Tazuna was nowhere to be seen.

"Well it's good to see all of you again. How long was I out for" Kakashi asked as Sakura began to pack away her medicinal supplies.

"Less than 24 hours" Sasuke replied.

Naruto peered at his sensei through squinted eyes "You're sharingan is cool and everything but maybe you shouldn't use it that much. I mean if you're going to pass out and stuff" he decided.

Kakashi nodded and turned to Sakura "So what's the verdict Doc?" he asked jokingly.

"Not too bad, I was able to repair some severed eye cartilage but I'm not really proficient so you need to see a qualified medical ninja when we get back to Konoha" Sakura said as the door to the room opened to reveal Tazuna.

"So you're awake at last! You took down one of the most powerful ninja assassins so we'll be safe for a while" he said fanning himself.

"But Kakashi-sensei, that guy with the mask, what about him?" Naruto asked, obviously not wanting to let the matter go.

"Like I said he's an elite tracking ninja from the Mist, those masks are only worn by the most elite shinobi. The ANBU Black Ops or Inferno Squad destroy all traces of a rouge ninja's corpse, the shinobi's body contains many secrets. Ninjutsu, chakra, special medicines used on his body these are the secrets of his village, if his enemies find out his people will be in grave danger" Kakashi replied, stifling a yawn.

Naruto nodded slightly but still appeared confused, Kakashi decided to give an example

"For instance if I were to die at the hands of an enemy he would try to analyse my Sharingan, in the worst case my entire jutsu could be stolen and used against our home village. It is the sacred duty of the shinobi trackers to prevent this, to keep the village secrets safe. If a ninja betrays his village the trackers hunt him down and eliminate him and obliterate every trace of his existence that is their specialty"

The Jounin suddenly felt a strange sensation come over him and lifted his hand to his eye covered by the forehead protector What is this? If Zabuza is finished why do I feel this way? Something is wrong, it's like I missed something… he thought.

"Hey are you okay? Sensei?" Naruto asked pulling Kakashi out of his thoughts.

"What? Oh yeah, to finish what I was saying. Tracker ninja deal with the body immediately, on the spot so there is no room for error"

"Wait, but that's not what that tracker ninja did. He took the body and disappeared straight away. But he should have worked on Zabuza as soon as possible" Sakura asked, suspicious.

"The weapons he used… they were throwing needles.. No way" Sasuke added equally skeptical.

"Now you're starting to think… see it doesn't add up" Kakashi said.